Sharks/Fish with teeth: Are they actually a threat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've known five divers who have been attacked (serious bites, not just smashing into you) by sharks while diving and one was killed. It is very situational dependent.

You happen to know a very high percentage of very small number of people. That's normal for any sufficiently large distribution curve - some people get hit by lightning more than once, too.

I'll echo what everyone else has said: "Marine animals will not attack unless severely provoked." Most shark attacks occur with snorkelers or surfers, because the sharks may confuse the surface paddling motion with a seal's behavior. Most other attacks occur because a diver is harassing an animal or feeding it. Some attacks occur when the animal is defending its eggs, and once you go away from the eggs, the animal should stop bugging you.

The only time I've been in such a situation is when a playful harbor seal followed my buddy and me for a good half hour, biting our fins and rubbing up against us. It nipped my hand playfully, but it was slightly painful.

Just stay calm and don't do anything stupid underwater, and you should be fine.

DumpsterDiver spearfishes. If you are in the vicinity of dead fish who are bleeding into the water, you are much more likely to draw the attention of, and excite, sharks.

DumpsterDiver spearfishes. If you are in the vicinity of dead fish who are bleeding into the water, you are much more likely to draw the attention of, and excite, sharks.

Actually it is not so much the dead fish or the blood... but struggling fish sending out low frequency vibrations... now that can get the sharks excited.

I dove a bunch in the north Atlantic near shore and out maybe 15 miles and only saw a shark once while snorkeling, if we ignore the sighting of a few very small sharks (like dogfish).

It is very situational dependent. In some areas sharks can be a concern, but in most places you will be lucky to see one... This is a local guy, who still enjoys spearfishing..

attachment.php?attachmentid=170268&d=1333865834.jpg

I hear from time to time divers getting chased pretty far from Ling Cod egg masses during February but thats just due to the males guarding their young. Ever person i know here has yet to have anything happen to them. Hell even a few times a curious octo comes by and latches onto ones arm and just looks at you. Or a wolf eel sneaks up on you and puts their head on your shoulder looking for food(note we did not fed him). I've yet to see an aggressive fish or anything but thats only with 25 dive.

I am learning scuba diving, it is really amazing experience. I was fascinated when my instructor showed me the coral animal, the big turtle, many kinds of colorful fishes. But after seen this image I am really scared now.
[h=3] [/h]

your location is very specific

I am learning scuba diving, it is really amazing experience. I was fascinated when my instructor showed me the coral animal, the big turtle, many kinds of colorful fishes. But after seen this image I am really scared now.

Don't be scared. Like most people already said, if you don't provoke animals and if you stay careful, you'll be completely fine. As others have mentioned (including dumpsterDiver), that photo was from a guy who regularly spearfishes, and spearfishing may attract predatory animals due to blood and fish struggling. Even then, it's very very rare for animal attacks on divers underwater.

That isn't exactly a good image to post in a sub-forum called "New Divers and Those Considering Diving." Clearly, it was posted in an attempt to elicit a negative reaction.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom