Sharks Need Our Help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chris Brown Tech

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Has anyone seen this yet? Great little docu on the plight of the shark in the hands of the longliners and shark finning industry.

YouTube - Sharks in Deep Trouble

Post your disgust in response.....

I agree completely.
As a matter of fact, I was dismayed when I was walking through my place of employment and saw this magazine: Tech Magazine - Winter 2007

Can't access the article online, but basically, the magazine caters to gearhead types, and the article is about how much fun these motorcycle mechanics had going down to Key West and killing some sharks.
Seems to me, as a diver, and as a technician, I think Tech Magazine would do much better by running an article on the merits of scuba diving itself, rather than promoting a senseless shark killing ego boost.

Yeah, what a shame. Im convinced that if people knew the facts they may view life a little differently. Most people dont seem to know that sharks are even endangered.

That is why we need to get out there and educate our children and the public in general. Movies like "Sharkwater" and other documentaries need to be shown about the true barbarism happening out there in our oceans. From the hunting of whales, the massive slaughter of dolphins, and the disgusting practices of the finning of sharks, it truly is amazing how we as a species do more harm than good. All we can do is be dilligent and be the voice and stewards of our oceans. Support the organizations that are desperately trying to save our oceans and get out in the schools to share your experiences and maybe get the next generation involved now. I have a few presentations for the local schools in February discussing the whale shark expedition I was on and getting the kids involved in adopting a whale shark as their class project.

Happy diving and protecting my sharks!
Carolyn:sharks:

yes, have seen this on a large scale thorugh contacts at the shark trust and also on a locl scale on the project i run in mozambique.

If we want to protect the marine environment (and sharks) we all love so much we need to focus on people. People who have choices and alternatives available to them will not choose to destroy the environment, it is generally a result of poverty. If you can tackle poverty and create opportunities, then you can begin to think about marine life.

A fisherman who can work with tourists will not be as relyant on catching sharks; children who have access to schooling will not have to fish to survive in the future if tourism provides another income stream (and generally a more lucrative one than fishing); bilingual local guides who have been trained and had access to education will not have to cut black coral from the reefs to sell to tourists; again it is people who do the damage on every level...locals and visitors.

the film 'shark water' coming out soon goes ito the issue further. check it out. the level is insane, reasonable estimates are that 100,000,000 sharks are being killed each year - bearing in mind we dont know how many sharks are in the sea, this could easily spell disaster for a number of species.

chris

Back
Top Bottom