Sharkskin boyancy question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marty Bess

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just purchased a sharkskin suit and was wondering how much weight I can remove diving the Caribbean if I’m used to wearing a 2 or 3 mil wetsuit with 12 lbs of led, someone told me to remove 4lbs does that sound about right??

Thanks,

Marty

I would remove 8 because I’m assuming you are fairly over weighted now, if using a major brand b/c it probably 2 to 4 lb of float.

Removing 4 lb. sounds about right to me; it's certainly a good place to start. Do a weight check at the end of your dive with 500 psi in your tank at 15 feet; if you can remain neutrally buoyant with no air in your BC, you've got the right amount.

Take a mesh bag, put the wet suit in it. Put it in the water, work it around to get the air out of it, Take weights off your belt or out of the pouches until you can sink the bag with the wet suit in it.

Leave that amount of weight, or slightly less, on shore when you dive.

Adjust as necessary so that you can be at 5 m, 50 bar in the tank no air in the BC or wing and be neutral with about a half to 3/4 breath of air in your lungs.

my Sharkskin shirt is neutrally buoyant.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom