Shearwater AI Tansmitter Battery Change

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No, I just use standard AA alkaline batteries. But I am very strict on replacing them every two months.

Do you still replace the Lithium ones every two months or do you not worry about them until they run low?

No, I just use standard AA alkaline batteries. But I am very strict on replacing them every two months.

Do you still replace the Lithium ones every two months or do you not worry about them until they run low?

Shearwater now recommends the Energizer Ultimate for everyone. You spent nearly $1K on a dive computer and you’re cheaping out on batteries?!

I dive cold water which the Ultimates are recommended for. I use them they run low. I dive year round. At least once a month in the winter.

The manual I have recommended standard Alkaline batteries as well as the Lithium, but I get your point.

So do you still replace your Lithium every two months, or do you wait for them to run low?

I use SAFT lithium batteries in all diving equipment. They last many months in a Perdix or Petrel, and about a year in the AI transmitters. I dive most weekends

Do you guys worry about the batteries in the transmitter leaking? I know with the AA ones in the computer itself I remove and replace every two months to avoid leakage. But I don't remember reading that anywhere about the transmitter? I haven't changed the battery in mine since I bought it.

I'm assuming this is because of the battery tech (Alkaline vs Lithium?).
No worries about the transmitter batteries leaking. They are, as you mentioned, lithium, which are not known for leaking. Plus, I change the transmitter batteries each year. Well before they are due. Batteries are cheap.

My Perdix AI actually came with a standard AA alkaline. I was surprised and pulled it out immediately. Way too much risk. Shearwater has since updated their battery recommendations where they no longer recommend AA alkalines. I'd use them only if nothing else was available, and replace at first opportunity.

When I got my Perdix, I got a 4 pack of 14500 3.7V rechargeable Lithium batteries. I can use the same charger as I use for my 18650s. I leave them in until they get low (or before a trip). These batteries are compatible with the "Fuel Gauge" feature which gives a good indicator of how low it is.

Some of the Lithium batteries (like SAFT) have a very flat discharge rate, so the computer has a real hard time telling how full it is. Those tend to die suddenly.

When I got my Perdix, I got a 4 pack of 14500 3.7V rechargeable Lithium batteries. I can use the same charger as I use for my 18650s. I leave them in until they get low (or before a trip). These batteries are compatible with the "Fuel Gauge" feature which gives a good indicator of how low it is.

Some of the Lithium batteries (like SAFT) have a very flat discharge rate, so the computer has a real hard time telling how full it is. Those tend to die suddenly.
How long do your rechargeable batteries last in comparison with lithium batteries?

I ask as I've found that rechargeable batteries in, for example, a computer mouse last a fraction of the time that even alkaline batteries last.

How long do your rechargeable batteries last in comparison with lithium batteries?

I ask as I've found that rechargeable batteries in, for example, a computer mouse last a fraction of the time that even alkaline batteries last.
Definitely not as long as the Energizer Lithiums, but the rechargeables I'm using are lithium as well. The NiMHs don't last as long.

The main thing I like about the rechargeable 14500 lithiums is that the Perdix can very accurately determine the capacity. It displays a battery icon that starts as full, then ticks down to empty, so I can easily see if it's getting close. Much better than the 3 step with most (Good, Warning, Critical).

Back
Top Bottom