Shearwater now majority owned by private equity firm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks @Jim Hartt I appreciate your post. I have owned a Teric for two years now. I love the computer and have experienced the absolutely excellent service, thanks Dive-Tronix.

May I have an AI Peregrine please?

I'll settle for a paper manual for my perdix I can bring with my to my dive sites.

Wow! Such a rare direct communication from a dive equipment manufacturer's CEO. That bodes well for the future.

@Bruce_Partridge posted many times, though rarely with his official hat on. I hope we still hear from "the founders" now and then and that they are enjoying whatever they're doing.

@Bruce_Partridge posted many times, though rarely with his official hat on. I hope we still hear from "the founders" now and then and that they are enjoying whatever they're doing.
We're still around. We look forward to the next Scubaboard Surge!

Thanks @Jim Hartt
These private equity firms strive to maximize profits and value of the shares. I expect that much more money will be put into marketing, expect price increase and resulting increase of sales. Shearwater was very famous for its customer service, however, I would expect that in this area will be the most decline. There will be no "personal touch", name will be fully exploited and Shearwater will become another ordinary company.

I am not to sure that Shearwater will be able to raise their prices to much. Teric is presently $1100, but the Garmin is $1300 and $1500. In terms of added value, Garmin is Way ahead here. The Peregrine is $450 and the Aqualung i470TC with AI is only $500, again added value. Then you have Deep 6 Deep 6 Excursion at $255, seriously, no competitors here.

Here are some of my thoughts, Shearwater could be the next PELAGIC. Start making their own Transmitters and making Dive Computers for other Vendors... I believe Huish (I would still not buy from them again) only has a 5 year contract with Suunto, and I have not seen anyone wearing Suntoo in the USA in the last couple years. Also, they could make DC's for smaller vendors like HOG.

Competing with Garmin would be the next step 2, and Garmin still has some other tricks up their sleeve if they want more market share. Developing and making Watches for other enthusiasts, would help increase brand recognition.

One more idea would be a bigger Rebreather market share. I believe in Rebreathers, but having to be trained and each brand is a hassle. Until they are more standard like a simple Regulator, I do not see the Rebreathers Market growing to large. If Shearwater can help in this market, it could be huge.

Just my starting thoughts.... They have to pay me for any more ideas. lol

I am not to sure that Shearwater will be able to raise their prices to much. Teric is presently $1100, but the Garmin is $1300 and $1500. In terms of added value, Garmin is Way ahead here.

I've looked into the Garmin and I just don't get it. I don't get all of the excitement. The few added features are things that I don't need and honestly don't want in a dive computer. However, I'm always trying to learn from others. What is it that you see in the Garmin Mk2/Mk2i that you feel puts it "way ahead"? I assume you are comparing it solely to the Teric. Garmin has nothing comparable to the Perdix AI.

I've looked into the Garmin and I just don't get it. I don't get all of the excitement. The few added features are things that I don't need and honestly don't want in a dive computer. However, I'm always trying to learn from others. What is it that you see in the Garmin Mk2/Mk2i that you feel puts it "way ahead"? I assume you are comparing it solely to the Teric. Garmin has nothing comparable to the Perdix AI.

To a degree, I completely agree with you. So, we, you and I are probably avid divers, but we are less then 5% of the divers in the world. Many people do not want to have to purchase a new item for everything they do. Again, increasing market share making making your Watch more viable. Looking at the Garmin App store, it was a lot of option to make the Garmin a more everyday every activity watch. The Garmin also can check certain vitals while you are diving. My HS electronics died of a heart attack in 1985 while diving in Long Beach Bay in 1985. Could a Garmin given him a heads up? I have no idea, but it is a thought and a direction for the future.

My local LDS has owned his shop since the 1970's, and thousands of dives. He sells both Shearwater and Garmin, when an older 68yo man raves about a Tech product for diving, I try to listen. He is not selling me one, as he sold me my Teric and Perdix AI, but he just loves the Garmin.

For the record, I love to be a Shearwater Reseller, but they only allow brick and mortar shops. :(

To a degree, I completely agree with you. So, we, you and I are probably avid divers, but we are less then 5% of the divers in the world. Many people do not want to have to purchase a new item for everything they do. Again, increasing market share making making your Watch more viable. Looking at the Garmin App store, it was a lot of option to make the Garmin a more everyday every activity watch. The Garmin also can check certain vitals while you are diving. My HS electronics died of a heart attack in 1985 while diving in Long Beach Bay in 1985. Could a Garmin given him a heads up? I have no idea, but it is a thought and a direction for the future.

My local LDS has owned his shop since the 1970's, and thousands of dives. He sells both Shearwater and Garmin, when an older 68yo man raves about a Tech product for diving, I try to listen. He is not selling me one, as he sold me my Teric and Perdix AI, but he just loves the Garmin.

For the record, I love to be a Shearwater Reseller, but they only allow brick and mortar shops. :(

@Micheal Thank you for the thorough reply!

The part about one watch/computer used for multiple purposes I get. Just not something that is important to me. I own a Perdix AI and a Peregrine. I want the larger screen. I don't want my dive computer to be watch-sized. I realize I'm in the minority.

The part about checking vitals. Does it work through a wetsuit? I can't imagine it does. I'm NEVER diving without at least a 3mm. Again, I realize I'm in the minority.

The appeal of the Garmin is a real one. For instance, I wear a fitness watch 24/7 to track my sleep, log my running and cycling, and track my activity level. I use my phone for messages and music and notifications. I use a wallet with money and credit cards for payment. When I go in a dive trip I bring a cheap dive computer and a cheap watch to wear underwater. That’s 6 different things. A Garmin could take the place of many of them. Two reasons why I haven’t done so are that I’m heavily invested in the Polar fitness ecosystem and I am getting farsighted so I’m on the hunt for a bigger screen. But all minor things, really.

The appeal of the Garmin is a real one. For instance, I wear a fitness watch 24/7 to track my sleep, log my running and cycling, and track my activity level. I use my phone for messages and music and notifications.

Oh I believe you. Just not for me. I've never jumped on the fitness tech bandwagon. I never wear a watch even though I have a very nice Breitling my wife bought me for our wedding. I'm just not a watch person. I also need the larger screen. But I do realize that I'm in the minority. I was asking to make sure there wasn't something about the appeal of the Garmin I was missing. I don't believe there is, it just doesn't match the requirements that are important to me.

Back
Top Bottom