Shearwater perdix2 14500(flat-top) work?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BryanX

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Quick question,
Will perdix work with the Flat top 14500 battery?
275x840.jpg

There 2 types of 14500 battery. one just like a normal AA with a pointy end on the top. the other type is with flat top like the one I've showne in the pic.
I've already read the manual, and also went through some of the posts on here. but couldn't find anyone using the 14500 flat top battery.

There 2 types of 14500 battery. one just like a normal AA with a pointy end on the top. the other type is with flat top like the one I've showne in the pic.
I've already read the manual, and also went through some of the posts on here. but couldn't find anyone using the 14500 flat top battery.
OK - I think it might work as both contact ends on the Perdix 2 battery compartment (cap and inside) are coiled spring compression contacts. However, I'd suggest contacting Shearwater Customer Service through their website as they'll be best able to answer your question with certainty. I just use the recommended Energizer Ultimate Lithium AA's.

OK - I think it might work as both contact ends on the Perdix 2 battery compartment (cap and inside) are coiled spring compression contacts. However, I'd suggest contacting Shearwater Customer Service through their website as they'll be best able to answer your question with certainty. I just use the recommended Energizer Ultimate Lithium AA's.
if the positive side in the compartment is spring, then it should work. I've had other electronics that will only work with Button-top batteries.
Thanks.

I use Energizer Ultimate Lithium batteries in my Shearwater computers. I dive a LOT every week. I replaced the battery in my Perdix yesterday and it had been in the computer since March. It still showed 1.4 volts.

if the positive side in the compartment is spring, then it should work. I've had other electronics that will only work with Button-top batteries.
Thanks.
I seem to recall reading something about this in the past. Most likely on the SW website, but not positive.

Essentially, they indicated that some 14500s may not work as the overall length was too short, so the contact pressure wasn't sufficient for a reliable connection. So, I'd suggest measuring it. If it is shorter than a standard AA, then there may be issues.

If you have them already, I'd say try it. Shake it around a bit to make sure it doesn't power off.

I seem to recall reading something about this in the past. Most likely on the SW website, but not positive.

Essentially, they indicated that some 14500s may not work as the overall length was too short, so the contact pressure wasn't sufficient for a reliable connection. So, I'd suggest measuring it. If it is shorter than a standard AA, then there may be issues.

If you have them already, I'd say try it. Shake it around a bit to make sure it doesn't power off.
I've just bought a Perdix2 online and it's on the way. I couldn't find any picture of the battery compartment online. hopefully the positive side is a similar design as most the dive torches. I'll find out after a few days.

I couldn't find any picture of the battery compartment online. hopefully the positive side is a similar design as most the dive torches.
I had to change the battery in my Perdix, so took a pic. Looks to be similar to some of my dive lights, which I know can use flat top or non, but in 18650 size. If the size is similar to the standard AA, it should work. If it’s short, it may not.

Attachments

• IMG_4009.jpeg
    IMG_4009.jpeg
    67.1 KB · Views: 36

Back
Top Bottom