Sheridan/Blackthorne - are they newbie friendly?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vmsgeek

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My son (age 14) and I have about 20 dives each, in the Florida Keys and more recently in the Clearwater area (the ledges, and the veteran's reef this past week).

We're thinking about heading to the Sheridan/Blackthorne wrecks in June while we're visiting the area.

My understanding is that the wrecks are in about 75 fsw, though there's plenty to see in the 60 fsw range.

Feedback on this proposed dive would be welcome.

Thanks!

I have yet to do those wrecks, but I guess it depends on what you are comfortable with. I wouldn't call that depth newbie, but if you're good with it...
I definitely recommend the rj thompson which is in the 60ft range. it's off tarpon springs and has an incredible amount of life. here is a video I shot there last weekend.

[video=youtube_share;IXhLMRcO9WE]http://youtu.be/IXhLMRcO9WE[/video]

I have yet to do those wrecks, but I guess it depends on what you are comfortable with. I wouldn't call that depth newbie, but if you're good with it...
I definitely recommend the rj thompson which is in the 60ft range. it's off tarpon springs and has an incredible amount of life. here is a video I shot there last weekend.

[video=youtube_share;IXhLMRcO9WE]http://youtu.be/IXhLMRcO9WE[/video]

Thanks! Nice video. Who was the boat operator?

Rock bottom divers. There is a link in the video description. I don't have it handy right now.

Yep saw it, and visited their website. Thanks.

Thanks for this tip, Reebok.
I hadn't heard of it before, but am going to have to make sure to check out the RJ Thompson soon as I get myself a Contour or Hero3.

I'd been eying this dive myself, since it's one of the closest dive sites to me. I figured I'd do my AOW first due to the depth. Let us know how your dive goes!

Most of our dive sites here in the Gulf have little to no current. The Sheridan sits at about 80ft to the sand and starts somewhere around 40ft. On good days the visibility will be top to bottom, on bad days it will be 10 - 15ft but most days provide 30ft of visibility. I wouldn't say there is anything challenging about the Sheridan, it's a pretty easy dive, fairly large and you should be able to see the entire thing on your dive. Most dive boats put a DM or dive guide in the water with the group that you can follow but don't use them as your "personal" guide, you'll have to have the skills required to manage your air/bottom time. In most cases the dive boat will likely set anchor on or very close to the boat so if there is fair visibility it will be easy to go down the anchor line, circle the ship, hang out and make your way back up the anchor line. Remember, you don't need to be in the sand to experience the ship, there is plenty to see in the 40ft - 60ft range.

The Blackthorn is a little bit different dive as it is spread out a bit. The ship is in two sections and requires a bit more navigation skill as there is plenty of area to swim around. If the visibility is good there should be no issue navigating around. If the visibility is poor you may stress out about not being able to make your way back to the anchor (if you're not following a guide or the group).

Overall, I think the dives are on the easier side since there isn't much current. The Sheridan is simple to navigate around and the Blackthorn provides a large area to swim and explore (providing the visibility is good). The only down side to these dives sites is they are a decent trip out (20 miles) but worth experiencing. You can always give your dive operator a call and either confirm they will have a DM or guide that will enter the water for you to follow or possibly hire a DM/dive guide (through the operator).

I've led a lot of newer divers on these wrecks as their first deep or wreck dives and things went smoothly. As with anything, your experience may differ based on conditions and your experience level.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom