Sherwood AVID BC...Anyone?..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zagnut

Reaction score
Has anyone out there used a Sherwood AVID BC? I've only seen them on the internet. I don't know of any dive shops around me that sell Sherwood. I'm reluctant to purchase a BC online without even trying it on but, it looks nice, pretty low profile with big arm holes for easy on and off which cause the pockets to sit low(for easy access) without seeming too bulky, and backpack frame can be used for dual tank rigs. My LDS told me they used to sell Sherwood but, they kept going in and out of bankruptcy and getting picked up by different distributors or something. Is this true, and if so, does it cause problems with warranty or service(...A question about a company's history...WARHAMMER?.. this sounds like your kind of question..)? Any comments on this particular BC and Sherwood BCs in general?

A friend of mine (the one who got me interested in diving) has a sherwood and is very happy with it. I have used it in a pool and liked it. I don't personally have enough exerience with BCs to rate it one way or another but like I said my friend seemed happy with his.

Taltoz,

Do you recall which model BC your friend owned?

No I don't. But I will see him tonight at church so I will ask him then.

Taltoz

I bought my first BC Sherwood Avid and had no problems with it. Easy to wear and comfortable. The weight integrated pouches were a bit difficult to pull out at first but after a few tries, were quite easy to remove. A plus point is that it doesn't give you the squeeze which a basic BC will give you when you inflate. As this is my first BC, can't say much about how it compares to other BCs. Overall, I'm pleased with it.

I just bought a Sherwood Avid 2002 from DiveUS.com. They also have a retail store in San Diego, but I can't remember the name of it. I, too, was leary of buying without trying, so I went to the retail store and tried it on. Felt great and the customer service was great. Since they have a retal store, they can offer the full warranty. I don't know anything about Sherwood going out of business, but the BCD is very comfortable in the water, has plenty of D-rings (6), has three dump valves (one integrated into the auto-inflate hose, just pull on the hose) and adjust evey which way I could want.

I have used my Sherwood Avid on about 15 dives, and I love it. I like the weight system, and the big pockets. I also purchased the Akona BC kit, with flashlight, knife, and retractors. It's pretty sweet.

Back
Top Bottom