Sherwood BCs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaDipper

Registered
Reaction score
I am looking at the Sherwood BCs - both the Freedom and the Avid - specifically the Freedom.

Has anyone had any experience with these, both good or bad? They look good and affordable, but I always like to hear reviews first.

I am a newbie and currently I dive at altitude in cold water, but I also like to dive and will dive in the future in both warm and cold saltwater. All recreation, but in the future I would like to explore wrecks and caves.

Please help! Thanks...

I use the sherwood avid and love it had no promblems with it at all

My daughter and I both use the Freedom. We both like it. Very comfortable with more than enough lift for 7mil wetsuits. We use them mainly in local quarries but I was in Lake Michigan this summer with no problem. IMO the Freedom is more comfortable than a jacket BC like the Avid, but a friend really loves her Avid. I think you would like both. The only bad thing I can say about the Freedom is that it only has one small pocket in the middle, but than again it is not a confining jacket.

Good luck with whatever you pick,
S

Thanks for all the feedback ...

I think I might go with the Freedom. The pocket does look like it might get in the way, but who knows I might find a use for it yet. I like the whole idea of the back inflate and the Freedom has weight pockets in the back to help you keep trim

... sounds good to me! :crest:

I have had the AVID for 1 yr now and have had no problems with it. I liked the way it fit me and did not squeeze me as much as other BC's I tried. Fortunately I was able to try a few BC's before making my decision.

I also realized that this probably was not going to be my last BC so I spent the $ for something I knew fit and was able to get away from renting and just get out and dive more often. ( the bc was the last piece of equipment I needed).

one last thing, the pockets on the avid are my only complaint. they are not easy to get to, but this is not a huge deal for me.

Have not had the chance to dive the freedom. keep us posted on how you make out.

ScubaDipper once bubbled...
I am looking at the Sherwood BCs - both the Freedom and the Avid - specifically the Freedom.

Has anyone had any experience with these, both good or bad? They look good and affordable, but I always like to hear reviews first.

I am a newbie and currently I dive at altitude in cold water, but I also like to dive and will dive in the future in both warm and cold saltwater. All recreation, but in the future I would like to explore wrecks and caves.

Please help! Thanks...

I recently purchased a Sherwood Avid BCD. I've only had it in the pool so far but it fits like a glove. I am headed down to Cozumel in January for a couple of weeks. It will be very well used by the time I get back.

One of the previous posters mentioned that the zippered pockets were hard to get into. This is pretty much true when you have it fully inflated. There is also very little squeeze at full inflation. there are 4 D-Rings as well as clips for the Akona pro kit (I think the knife and flash light are not substantial quality). I'm currently in the process of hunting down the proper retractor for my guages

The Avid has two tank straps, 2 pockets and best of all is weight integrated. 10 pounds dropable left and right (uses strong positive action clips instead of velcro, (Velcro can come loose in a back roll of a boat according to some). 10 pounds of non-removable trim weight (left and right up to 5 pound secured pockets.

three dump valves, one on the bottom (for when you are inverted) Inflator hose pull, and one on the shoulder.

Once you go weight integrated, you will never go back to a weight belt. provided that you don't need more than 30 pounds of lead.

Lanshark

In my review I forgot to mention the most important feature. It has a small pocket on the right sidewith a velcro flap. This is primarily used for a folding snorkel. In my case however, I use it for my cellphone..

:)

Lanshark

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom