Sherwood BCs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

well asI stated earlier I too use the sherwood avid jacket BC
firast I dont get the squeeze like most jacket bc I have used , second many D rings , and for the Akona pro kit was stated not very good quality well they are wrong the light is princtonic light ratee to 2000 feet and great back up light and knife does good enough for what its inteded for and the console retractor is same one you would by any wear else .
with that said it does have two tank straps with is great no more loose or uncoming tanks which it seems is coming more freguate on the off shore dives I do seems to see one every boat trip know .
and the little pocket is for ther folding snokal if you like me its easy and great idea , three dump valves, one on the bottom the Inflator hose , and one on the shoulder.
and the trim weights around the back can hold as much as ten poinds and then the removable weoghts which can hold ten pounds each side for total of 30 ibs of weight, my self can't get used to the back bladder iflated type so I like the jacket and will keep using this one I got close to 180 dives on this BC and yes the pockets are litle harder to get to I still can get into them and use them, try several other and if possible in pool with every thing one look for quality , fit, squeeze lift and other things you will need or want later on most diver end up owning more than one BC in there time .

I don't have a Freedom or Avid, but I do dive with a Sherwood Outback. Back inflate, similar design to the Freedom and I really like it.

Kent

Seems to be a lot of people using the Avid. Like I said earlier a friend uses it and loves it. I almost bought it. Just to give similar information of the Freedom, it does have to straps for the tank and a memory strap. Depending on the size (mine is a medium) the frount pockts hold 10 lbs each and the two in back hold 4 lbs each. It two has the front little pocket for the snorkel and another for the signaling tube.

I think you will ike either.

S

I, too, purchased the Avid as my first BCD, mainly due to the fit. It felt like a glove, didn't really ride up, and had lots of options. With regard to the pockets being hard to get to at depth, I took a short length of cord and tied a finger long length to each zipper. The problem for me was actually getting to the zipper as it sat inside a flap covering the lenght of zipper. With the short pull cord attached, no problem getting the pockets open to get to the cell phone at depth.... Seriously, though, try both and get the one that fits YOU best.

Stogie1020 once bubbled...
no problem getting the pockets open to get to the cell phone at depth....

I saw that cell phones were mentioned several times in this forum and you mentioned getting the cell phone at depth. How are you able to dive with the cell phone and what is the purpose?

Dipper, I don't know about anyone else on this board, but I was JOKING. Just a satirical comment on the state of society and our need for our cell phones. If, on the other hand, you know of any company that guarantees cell service to 130 fsw, please let me know as they will have a customer for life!!

Stogie1020 once bubbled...
Dipper, I don't know about anyone else on this board, but I was JOKING. Just a satirical comment on the state of society and our need for our cell phones. If, on the other hand, you know of any company that guarantees cell service to 130 fsw, please let me know as they will have a customer for life!!

lol ... Good! I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going insane. I was like how the heck can you talk on a phone underwater ... it would sound kinda bubbly.

You can rest easy knowing that we were only kidding about the cellphone thing. The first time I saw the Avid that was the first thing that popped in to my mind as a use for the pocket. Hmmm.. Imagine the millions I could make for that underwater cellphone housing... Ok, build the Microphone into the regulator mouthpiece and water proof equalizing earmuffs with a speaker...

Anyone wish to Invest?

Lanshark
:wink:

lanshark once bubbled...
You can rest easy knowing that we were only kidding about the cellphone thing. The first time I saw the Avid that was the first thing that popped in to my mind as a use for the pocket. Hmmm.. Imagine the millions I could make for that underwater cellphone housing... Ok, build the Microphone into the regulator mouthpiece and water proof equalizing earmuffs with a speaker...

Anyone wish to Invest?

Lanshark
:wink:

It is actually kind of sickening to think about. It is like going camping with a laptop or going hiking with a PDA. :shaking: Personally, I like to get away from the everyday life when I visit nature, but I am sure there are those people who would actually use a gimic like that! Or at least to communicate between buddies.

hhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmm......... :think:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom