Sherwood reg.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubaskipper

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Just changed to a shop that carries Sherwood as the primary line. Waiting on the "since you're teaching here now and we sell Sherwood we would like you to replace all your kit with our gear" talk. What would be the general recommendations for a bomb proof low maint. model that I can use every day from pool to 100ft cavern dives. Seems to be lots of fine sand that gets into everything. This is judging from the bottom of the rinse tank at the end of the dives.

Oasis

Go Blizzard if you think you may ever dive in water approaching 40F

Tuned right they are reliable as the get without the complexity of a Maximus or SR-1

Pete

Just changed to a shop that carries Sherwood as the primary line. Waiting on the "since you're teaching here now and we sell Sherwood we would like you to replace all your kit with our gear" talk. What would be the general recommendations for a bomb proof low maint. model that I can use every day from pool to 100ft cavern dives. Seems to be lots of fine sand that gets into everything. This is judging from the bottom of the rinse tank at the end of the dives.

...I'd snag a good low-mileage Sherwood reg off E-Bay...then tell the shop that..."OOPS, I DID already have a Sherwood reg forgotten in my closet...so I'm covered, right? " :)

...I'd snag a good low-mileage Sherwood reg off E-Bay...then tell the shop that..."OOPS, I DID already have a Sherwood reg forgotten in my closet...so I'm covered, right? " :)

I love my 15 year old Sherwood Oasis. It has been with me on 37 degree (Fahrenheit) high altitude freshwater lakes, the warm waters of Red Sea/Israel, and breathes very well below 100+ feet. 200+ dives and I've never had any problems.

That said, Scuba Diving Magazine (July 2008) rated Sherwood's SR1 very highly. If I had a chance to get one at "cost" from the shop I was working at - I'd go for it!!!

DrDaddy

If you are getting "keyman" pricing that is less than wholesale you might as well get the SR1...probably cost you less than $200.
If you hold on a bit I think there'll be a complete new line of regs out very soon based on the SR1.

The Brut is an unbalanced first stage, while a very reliable workhorse, not the best choice for a primary. The Magnum would be an excellent choice as far as Sherwood goes. Just so you know the Magnum, Oasis and Blizzard all use the same first stage with Sherwood's patented dry air bleed system which does a very nice job of keeping the first stage clean and dry and easy on the maintenance, although if memory serves the Blizzard has a teflon coated balance chamber.

Jeff

I have a Sherwood Maximus. Nice reg, I really like the moisture retaining fins inside, never had dry mouth with this reg.

The hose routing/swivel is my favorite part, it's designed to go UNDER your arm. This keeps the hose out of the way of flailing students.
I once swam underwater past a group of students (using a different reg) when one of the students reached down and snagged my reg hose and yanked it out of my mouth. When I surfaced he said "The instructor wants us on the surface for a briefing" to which I replied "I'm not in your class dip****, mind your own business"

I've see the Maximus on ebay occasionally for about $150.

Oh yeah, if you use a Sherwood, you might want to warn your students that Sherwood's are DESIGNED to leak a small stream of bubbles from the 1st stage.

The Brut is an unbalanced first stage ...

The new Brut is balanced. Older ones can be modified to be balanced. While very reliable, it's hardly a performer.

Blizzards and Maximus regs use the same first stage. The Maximus has an adjustable second stage with a right angle hose routing that I found annoying.

Reliable, safe, rugged are all adjectives I'd use to describe these regs.

I love my 15 year old Sherwood Oasis. It has been with me on 37 degree (Fahrenheit) high altitude freshwater lakes, the warm waters of Red Sea/Israel, and breathes very well below 100+ feet. 200+ dives and I've never had any problems.

That said, Scuba Diving Magazine (July 2008) rated Sherwood's SR1 very highly. If I had a chance to get one at "cost" from the shop I was working at - I'd go for it!!!

DrDaddy

I would recommend the Oasis as well....... We use it on our PSD team. I've done.... saltwater, freshwater, in total muck and depths to 130' and have never had a problem. I'm also a tech for them and there is very little maintainance need on these. I bought one for my personal use as well because of how well it performed for work.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom