SHERWOOD SR1 Reg.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I listened to my computer cuz I was so focused on breathng, I could not know how fast I was going up; since there was air it looked like the right thing to do. When I tried my octo I had to breath so hard water was coming along wth air, I looked at my Gage and the air was emptying out very qickly, so I decided to try my buddy's octo, which was hard to breath as well but safer supply of air.

You read my mind... Yesterday I bought an mk17 and 2 G250v. Everywhere on this forum I found it was the right fir the job. I got 2 g250v second stages cuz I don't want to rely on cheap octos as backup plan... Couple hundred more and better safe than sorry.

Last edited:
I had my SR1 free flow on me in a lake dive last week. Was 40 feet down and in 44 degree water. Got up okay off my buddy's alternate. Got it adjusted and am interested to see how it goes....

I had my SR1 free flow on me in a lake dive last week. Was 40 feet down and in 44 degree water. Got up okay off my buddy's alternate. Got it adjusted and am interested to see how it goes....

Hi CattMollins, I'm glad to hear you're Ok and surfaced safely! It's scary to hear that yours freeflowed at 44F, given that it should be Ok at that temperature.

After doing some research, I've learned that piston regulators (SR1 included) do not handle well water colder than 40F/4C. Here is where Sealed Diaphragm regulators perform better. Truly, piston regulators deliver more air and are somehow better breathers, especially at depths, but cannot endure colder waters.

I'm still troubled by yours freeflowing at 44F. If it was under-adjusted it should have freeflowed at the surface, not at 40ft... so that leaves 2 possible causes for the freeflow: the regulator was over-breathed, or reg parts froze (The pressure drop form tank to Low-Pressure hose causes the temperatures of the air to drop dramatically, which freezes the reg's 1st stage; the water outside should actually warm up the parts, unless the reg is not a good heat-exchanger).

I hope it's ok after the adjustment. however, if you plan on diving cold waters again you may want to look into a Sealed Diaphragm reg... or maybe you can still return your SR1 (?).

Sherwood SR1 bought 10months ago and did about 20 dives.
Yesterday, on my 2nd dive, I've experienced my very 1st freeflow (and also my 1st Nitrox32 dive) in Sacacomie Lake (Quebec) within only 5 mins after going down to 85', water temps dropped from 65f to 46.2F.
My regulator sensitivity was previously set to the least sensitive position (rolled back, fully “IN&#8221:wink: to stop the venturi assisting effect and minimize the possibility of uncontrolled free flow of air. Breathing at 85' remained comfortable and there was no reason to open the sensitivity.
Free flow surprisingly started, the leak was not very strong, but just enough to drain a tank in no time, I could still breathe having the whole mouthpiece in my mouth. Facing my buddy, because of lack of experience, I tried to stop the flow by trying to block the hole using my index and failed. I've decided to use my buddy's Mares MV octo, although I felt a bit of breathing resistance in his octo, that did the job well for an affordable piece of equipment to evacuate the premises.
What have I learned the hard way should this ever happen again to avoid unexpected evacuation ...
After having constant visual contact, use my body's octo, let him shut off my tank, stick my tongue into SR1's mouthpiece, turn on tank, that should do the trick.

Although Sherwood claims that this regulator is appropriate for cold and demanding conditions, The SR1user's manual states in fine print that:
Diving in water temperatures less than 50F (10C) may require special techniques to avoid conditions that could result in freezing conditions inside regulators and valves.
What are those special techniques they are talking about ?

Although Sherwood claims that this regulator is appropriate for cold and demanding conditions, The SR1user's manual states in fine print that:
Diving in water temperatures less than 50F (10C) may require special techniques to avoid conditions that could result in freezing conditions inside regulators and valves.
What are those special techniques they are talking about ?

The trick is don't take it that cold :wink: Not sure what they mean by that, but it really is not designed for going that cold. I had one and had taken it down to 42 with no issues, but never fully trusted it for any cold water diving and got something different that I had more confidence in.

Warm water, it is awesome!! I would not take it below 52 without wondering about a freeflow.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom