Sherwood SR1 vs. Zeagle Flathead 6

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pollywogg

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey Everybody,
I'm about to buy my first primary reg. I've been doing alot of homework, and I've gotten it narrowed down to two.Sherwood SR1 or the Zeagle Flathead 6. They both cost the same, so that's no issue. I just want to hear what people think about these 2. Just these two regulators please, I know both companies have solid reputations and loyal followers, but I just want to hear about these two. Thanks alot, everyone.
-Pollywogg

Hey Everybody,
I'm about to buy my first primary reg. I've been doing alot of homework, and I've gotten it narrowed down to two.Sherwood SR1 or the Zeagle Flathead 6. They both cost the same, so that's no issue. I just want to hear what people think about these 2. Just these two regulators please, I know both companies have solid reputations and loyal followers, but I just want to hear about these two. Thanks alot, everyone.
-Pollywogg

Pollywogg,
I used the SR1 last week and it was a great reg. I have used Zeagle as well and it's a good reg also, if I had to choose between the 2, I would go with the SR1. Keep in mind that this was based on a one time use of each reg. I prefer to use Dive Rite regs.

To be honest with you those two regulators were on my final two and obviously I can only choose 1 about 6months ago. I picked the Zeagle Flathead because it was cost effective, I wanted a DIN to yoke conversion on total it was 568.00. At the release time the SR1 was 650.00 and up with a waiting list, not many public coverage about how this anticipated regulator will perform. Also, when it was first released the SR1 had a minor problem on the 1st stage due to manufacturing process which is now taken cared of.

Now that SR1 are about 550.00 in my local dive shop I would have picked up the SR1 also, Sherwood annual parts are very affordable and you only need to service this regulator every 2 years.

My Flat head 6 has to be maintained every year and the only perk is that I get free annual parts. I am sure you already know the performance of both, if not it is 0.58 joules on the SR1 vs. the Flathead 6 is 0.91 joules. Both, are great regulators and I have to admit the SR1 is very attractive cosmetically, too. Again, I am not at all regretting my purchase of my Flat head 6. Congratulations in purchasing your regulator and may it serve you safely for many dives to come.

Hi Pollywogg,
I use a set of Flathead VI's on my double tanks, and honestly I couldn't be happier with them. They've given me stellar performance in deep cold water, and I know a lot of guys that use them for deep tech diving. If you're using the regs locally (Florida) why not look at the Flathead XP? It is identical to the FH VI, except it lacks the environmental seal system, which means the XP actually breathes slightly better than the VI.

Realistically, you cant really go wrong with either. Like you said, both companies have great reputations. The only thing that would hold me back on an SR1 right now, is that it has had some teething pains, with regards to the first stage, that I'm not 100% sure if Sherwood has sorted out completely. Also, I could be wrong on this, so please feel free to correct me, but the last time I was in a shop that sold Sherwood, they said that the DIN kit hadn't been release for it yet. That's not a problem if you only dive yoke tanks tho.

P.S. what price are you getting the SR1 for? Zeagleexpress.com has the FH VI for $360, and the FH XP for $350.

I have an SR1, and have used the Flathead 6 many of times. The breathing on the SR1 is alot nicer. Even on our flowbench, the ease of breathing on the SR1 outperforms the flathead 6. We are also a Zeagle and sell many flathead 6s, its a very good reg and solid performer, but I would go with the SR1...

Lets also look at a couple other things...Size the SR1 is ALOT smaller than the FH6, and the first stage is a noticably lighter on the SR1. As for breathing controls, the SR1 has one knob for all breathing effort controls. The FH6 has 2...one adjustment is always easier than 2 :wink:

Jimmer, firststage is all sorted out and its available in DIN....I have sold a few in DIN :wink: and ordered din kit for others that originally had yoke

You cannot go wrong with both of these regs,SR 1 may be a little easier breather.
But i would go with your Gut on this you really cant go wrong.
Second stage comfort is important,as well as is hose routing of the first stage.
If you can ,put them side by side hooked up to a tank look them over,you already know that both are dependable in all diving situations.

Here is a reason why you SHOULD NOT buy an SR1:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/sherwood-scuba/234463-sr1-blowing-up-problem.html

Here is a reason why you SHOULD buy the Zeagle:
Zeagle Flathead VI Regulator reviews and discounts, Zeagle

disclaimer:
No, I do not work for scubatoys or get any kickbacks from them.

Those SR1 problems are old issues. There are no issues with them now.

Well since you brought it up with why to buy Zeagle on price :D
https://www.diverightinscuba.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=2159

I do work/own Dive Right In Scuba and dont get any kickbacks from them :shakehead:...LOL....but it does keep us in business :D

Those SR1 problems are old issues. There are no issues with them now.

Well since you brought it up with why to buy Zeagle on price :D
https://www.diverightinscuba.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=2159

I do work/own Dive Right In Scuba and dont get any kickbacks from them :shakehead:...LOL....but it does keep us in business :D

:wink:...I stand corrected. That's a pretty good reason to buy from Dive Right In Scuba.
...Mike is that you?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom