Sherwood SR1 vs. Zeagle Flathead 6

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am really going to change the mix, my choice personally?
scubapro g250v/mk17 or oceanic eos
I would put these two regs up against Sr1 or Zeagle any day of the week.
The eos second stage comfort and first stage reliability is umatched.
Check these out before you buy.

I would avoid the SR1. I have a friend who bought one, and it had 10PSI of IP creep right out of the box and was not any better after 50-60 cycles. This is indicative of a poor piston/seat design. Both SP and atomic have had issues with new piston/seat designs throughout their reg development. I bet the SR1 is in a similar situation; maybe future seat upgrades will improve the lock up. It also was set very stiff; more than 2" H20 cracking pressure. I was not impressed. It looks sort of like an atomic 1st stage with a (sort of) s600ish 2nd stage. There appears to be a proprietary fitting to adjust the 2nd stage orifice, although it's possible that cracking effort in this stage is adjusted from the other end within the adjuster/seat saver mechanism. I'd also be very hesitant to use a reg that's designed to separate the 2nd stage seat/orifice while the reg is unpressurized. This can cause real problems while soaking the 2nd stage, which is a very important bit of maintenance. I don't know if the SR1 seat saver actually separates the seat/orifice like the atomic, but if it does, for me that would be a deal breaker.

The WOB numbers on most high performance regs are so low that there is no practical meaning to them. Sometimes there are serious design compromises made to produce absurdly low WOB test scores; like super thin exhaust valves that are notorious leakers or excessive venturi assist that results in an unnatural feeling of air being forced into your mouth.

For decades Sherwood has built a reputation on producing simple, tough, long lasting regs that take a great deal of punishment in rental fleets and OW classes, but are not super refined in breathing. They have really gone in a different direction with the SR1. It's too early to know if this reg will tarnish that reputation or improve it.

I'd get the zeagle, particularly if you can get a good deal on it and if you have a trusted convenient source of service. If not, buy a reg that you can easily get serviced by a tech that you can trust to do the job well.

I would avoid the SR1. I have a friend who bought one, and it had 10PSI of IP creep right out of the box and was not any better after 50-60 cycles. This is indicative of a poor piston/seat design. Both SP and atomic have had issues with new piston/seat designs throughout their reg development. I bet the SR1 is in a similar situation; maybe future seat upgrades will improve the lock up. It also was set very stiff; more than 2" H20 cracking pressure. I was not impressed. It looks sort of like an atomic 1st stage with a (sort of) s600ish 2nd stage. There appears to be a proprietary fitting to adjust the 2nd stage orifice, although it's possible that cracking effort in this stage is adjusted from the other end within the adjuster/seat saver mechanism. I'd also be very hesitant to use a reg that's designed to separate the 2nd stage seat/orifice while the reg is unpressurized. This can cause real problems while soaking the 2nd stage, which is a very important bit of maintenance. I don't know if the SR1 seat saver actually separates the seat/orifice like the atomic, but if it does, for me that would be a deal breaker.

Just curious, how long ago did he buy it? I wonder if it was on the LDS shelf for awhile and it was one of the first ones that did have problems....which are now non existant.

I generally have a golden rule "dont buy any new product until its been OUT in the market for at least two years, hopefully by then the bugs are worked out."

With the SR-1, I broke that rule and I am on my third. I personally am not convinced all the bugs are worked out.

I would take the Zeagle, and for an old Sherwood devotee like myself, thats a huge loss of faith.!

The WOB numbers on most high performance regs are so low that there is no practical meaning to them. Sometimes there are serious design compromises made to produce absurdly low WOB test scores; like super thin exhaust valves that are notorious leakers or excessive venturi assist that results in an unnatural feeling of air being forced into your mouth.

For decades Sherwood has built a reputation on producing simple, tough, long lasting regs that take a great deal of punishment in rental fleets and OW classes, but are not super refined in breathing. They have really gone in a different direction with the SR1. It's too early to know if this reg will tarnish that reputation or improve it.

Qutoing this part of the post because it is just full of truth.

(Backstory addition: Sherwood also used to make its own regs, and it does not make the SR-1, so there's something.)

I will put in a good word for one of the Old Sherwood second stages though. The Maximus (the under arm reg) has always been a good breather for the first six months of life or so. Then it gets all tricky and goes back to breathing like crap, just like the other old Sherwoods. And since every body and their mother worked on Sherwood regs (Since Sherwood sells parts to anyone), and Sherwood never sent trainers out to teach techs how to work on the regs (because they don't restrict part sales to techs), there was no getting back to the out of the box breathing quality. Or maybe it was just bad design.

The rest of the old Sherwood reg line is for the most part, rental crap. Breathes like crap out of the box, and since it breathes like crap to begin with, how would you be able to tell when it needs an overhaul? So, it's great for rental (if you hate your customers and don't care if they ever want to dive again.) Or if you are old skool and don't care about ease of breathing.

I have an SR1, and have used the Flathead 6 many of times. The breathing on the SR1 is alot nicer. Even on our flowbench, the ease of breathing on the SR1 outperforms the flathead 6. We are also a Zeagle and sell many flathead 6s, its a very good reg and solid performer, but I would go with the SR1...

Lets also look at a couple other things...Size the SR1 is ALOT smaller than the FH6, and the first stage is a noticably lighter on the SR1. As for breathing controls, the SR1 has one knob for all breathing effort controls. The FH6 has 2...one adjustment is always easier than 2 :wink:

Jimmer, firststage is all sorted out and its available in DIN....I have sold a few in DIN :wink: and ordered din kit for others that originally had yoke

Yeah, the Zeagles often breathe ugly on the surface or flow benches. I can distinctly remember when I got my first ZX-DSV, and hooked it up, and it breathed like crap, honking, chattering, just plain sucked. Then as soon as it broke the surface of the water, it went instantly smooth.

If the single adjustment actually does all the things that the 2 adjustments does, then that's great. Personally I like that I can adjust the breathing resistance, and the venturi effect independantly.

Oh jimmer, you just want the new Flathead 7 :D You can admit it....and I have a pre-release special for ya too :) PM me for info...:shhh:

So what's your point!?!:D If there was any real performance advantage to be had with the 7, I'd consider it. I'm not convinced the 7 is anything more than a Flathead VI changed for the sake of change. Don't get me wrong, I think Zeagle regs kick ass, but I'd rather have 2 50D's for stage bottles than new 7's to replace my perfectly good VI's.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom