Sherwood SR1 vs. Zeagle Flathead 6

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lots of people think change for the sake of change is a good thing.

To be honest with you those two regulators were on my final two and obviously I can only choose 1 about 6months ago. I picked the Zeagle Flathead because it was cost effective, I wanted a DIN to yoke conversion on total it was 568.00. At the release time the SR1 was 650.00 and up with a waiting list, not many public coverage about how this anticipated regulator will perform. Also, when it was first released the SR1 had a minor problem on the 1st stage due to manufacturing process which is now taken cared of.

Now that SR1 are about 550.00 in my local dive shop I would have picked up the SR1 also, Sherwood annual parts are very affordable and you only need to service this regulator every 2 years.

My Flat head 6 has to be maintained every year and the only perk is that I get free annual parts. I am sure you already know the performance of both, if not it is 0.58 joules on the SR1 vs. the Flathead 6 is 0.91 joules. Both, are great regulators and I have to admit the SR1 is very attractive cosmetically, too. Again, I am not at all regretting my purchase of my Flat head 6. Congratulations in purchasing your regulator and may it serve you safely for many dives to come.

Correction, a few hours ago I went to my LDS to get a new book for class and the newer production model SR1 is now being sold back at 650.00. Even at 568.00 for my Flathead VI at the time I am now more than delighted that I have chosen my Zeagle:)

Correction, a few hours ago I went to my LDS to get a new book for class and the newer production model SR1 is now being sold back at 650.00. Even at 568.00 for my

Thats the other thing that kind of irks me lately, Sherwood regs are way overpriced.

I cannot see $650.00 value in a SR-1 - sorry, its my personal opinion, but I just cant.

I also cannot see $200.00 (approx) value in a Brut either, this reg is 30 years old, apart from an upgraded piston and a few cosmetics this reg hasnt changed, so there were no radical new tooling costs,no further R and D, all the start up costs have been amortised a thousand times, where is this value?? surely this reg should be one of the cheapest on the market, maybe $130.00 - $140.00 retail.

Sherwood has a new reg line coming out in Feb. March...we will see what it offers...I saw the new brut at dema, didnt really WOW me, but looked nice. They keep saying they have some great stuff coming.....time will tell :wink:

I'm really interested in the SR1 myself but all these negative posts have me a bit concerned. Sounds like a great reg but it is it worth holding off for them to iron out all the problems?

I'm really interested in the SR1 myself but all these negative posts have me a bit concerned. Sounds like a great reg but it is it worth holding off for them to iron out all the problems?

The problems are sorted out....it was a quick fix by changing out a service part that was bad on a few....:wink:we sold about 10, and only mine had a problem....

I dont think you need to worry about SR1 ,
sherwood is a top notch company .
However i think you are limiting yourself.
I would really check out the Oceanic EOS and Scubapro line.
I have both and they are really good reliable regs,plus they are both great breathing regs.

EOS is solid as well....we did some testing on them before they came out....some freeflow issues that were quickly fixed. Great breather, IMO breathes better than the SR1, but from earlier testing, it pushed the limits of almost freeflowing, and I was having a mental block on breathing that it was going to freeflow....it never did, but I couldnt get past that mental block....Great reg though, the Hollis is based on the EOS, different first stage and actually was rated a better reg by Scuba Diving Mag(or one of the top magazines) its actually one of the ons they have on sale right now for $399 too :wink:

Sooooooo many good choices, you wont be dissappointed! Dont pull your hair out looking, you will be satisfied with any of them

Thanks for the feedback on the regs. There are so many choices out there, which is great but makes it hard for me to pick just one. Based upon my research I'm considering the Aeris ION DVT, Oceanic EOS, Hollis DC1 or Sherwood SR1. I've used a Sherwood Oasis for 10+ years and been happy with it. I'm looking to step up to a new and improved reg now. I want to make the best possible choice.

Both very sound choices, I have both in Rental along with others and one Regulator is requested over and over. The Aeris Ion it's price point and Lifetime Warranty on parts makes it a stand out.
As a service tech I look for performance, ease of service and warranty. Aeris, Zeagle and Sherwood fit into those categories you might also want to consider who can service these in your area also "Mail Order" regs in MOST cases will not have a parts warranty unless you return it to the seller for service. And who knows how long that will take or what happens if lost in transit. If your lucky enough to have a full service store in your area you should support them as they support your habbit....nobody has figured out how to fill tanks through your computer and your local dive store can't stay open for you just providing air fills.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom