Sherwood SR1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pcdownunder

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Looking at buying a Sherwood SR1 regulator for diving in different parts of the world.

Has anyone had any experience with this regulator?

Thanks.

Do NOT use the SR1 in water temps below about 43F. It WILL free-flow. One of my dive partners has been test diving it all winter with poor results, he maintains a second complete reg as a back up so he can turn off the SR1 post.

There's much better regs out there, have a look at Zeagle

Can you tell us a bit more about what type of diving you are looking to do and what brought you to Both Sherwood and the SR1 as choices. There are many good options on the market. This might end up being a great choice for you but some other members might also bring up bringing up possibilities that are equal or better for what you want to do.

You have asked if anyone has experience with this regulator. I have. My SR1 has preformed flawlessly in the 40+ dives I have done. I have had no problems whatsoever with it. I do not know about cold water because 55 degree water is as cold as I have used it in. There were some problems with it when it first came out. It appears that those problems have been solved. My experience with the regulator has been all positive.

have seen the SR1 with broken purge valves. undone adjustment knobs. Not as good as some other makes out there. But then again it is one of the top regs with in its price brackets for its performance. Smooth breather. The configuration of the 1st stage could have been done better.

You have asked if anyone has experience with this regulator. I have. My SR1 has preformed flawlessly in the 40+ dives I have done. I have had no problems whatsoever with it. I do not know about cold water because 55 degree water is as cold as I have used it in. There were some problems with it when it first came out. It appears that those problems have been solved. My experience with the regulator has been all positive.

Can I ask you: the SR1 has the seat saver like the Atomics right? You have to be careful not to soak the second stage or water can get past the seat saver, right?

I have messed around with one; it had high cracking effort and IP creep right out of the box new. I'd never buy one. There are too many excellent options out there.

I have two SR1s. One is an older model which had a (well documented) problem with an o-ring in the first stage blowing (until you learn the trick). I stuck with it because it is an amazingly smooth breather if you have to go deep on air.

I have a newer SR1 which has performed flawlessly so far.

Can I ask you: the SR1 has the seat saver like the Atomics right? You have to be careful not to soak the second stage or water can get past the seat saver, right?

The users manual suggests rinsing it while pressurized. If it is not possible to rinse while pressurized It states not to operate the purge on the second stage so I would say you are correct. I am not familar with Atomic regs so I dont know for sure.

The users manual also warns against diving in water <50 degrees without proper training. Even though it is environmentlly sealed.

The SR1 is a good reg for me, I have no desire to dive in cold water. I am also very careful with my gear and have had no problems rinsing my 2nd stage, I just make sure not to hit the purge when I am doing it.

I have messed around with one; it had high cracking effort and IP creep right out of the box new. I'd never buy one. There are too many excellent options out there.

Not an expert here but, shouldn't they be adjusted and tuned prior to use? I know when I bought mine, a tech went through it and adjusted it before I tried it out in the pool.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom