Shipping a VIP'd tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So it seems then the LDS was correct. You should not ship a tank with a VIP sticker since the valve is not attached to the tank.... I still dont see how a VIP would prevent the tank from exploding? I could have a tank rolling around in the back of my truck as I go off roading, and then get a fill even though there could have been some serious damage to the tank. In that case you should always VIP a tank before filling it no? Jsut trying to understand this better....

split0101:
The first comment the guy said to me was about the online "VIP" sticker. Then he took the tank over to the filling station, and hooked it up. He noticed that there was no air in the tank, and then proceeded to give me a lecture about breathing a tank dry. I told him this was a new tank, and that it did not have air in it. At that point he stopped the fill, and started to yell at me that he was filling a tank that could have exploded.
The chances of the tank exploding were pretty slim, but he was correct in not filling it.

The tank could have contained anything after being shipped, and you defintely want someone to check it out first.

I shipped a brand new tank (valve off), had it filled, used it, brought it back home (valve off). When I checked inside there was a slip of plastic (like part of a shopping bag). If that had made it's way into the valve while it was being used, it would have clogged it solid.

Your life is worth the extra $10. Let the guy VIP before filling.

That said, a VIP is worthless once the tank leaves the shop, unless you take great care to never let the tank pressure down to anywhere close to 0. Anybody could suck it dry, get seawater in it, and it would still have a VIP sticker. Same goes for getting a fill with questionable air. Once you get a bad fill, the tank could contain anything that got through the compressor filters.

This is another great reason to own your own tanks and take care of them and only get fills from a trusted (and frequently tested) source

Terry

Unless he was partial pressue filling it with 100% O2 for Nitrox, a brand new tank exploding is a bit dramatic IMO. Not everybody uses an LDS for fills or some use a transfill whip, as was pointed out earlier to put some air pressure in it after installing the valve, so a VIP sticker is ok.

I believe the train of thought is, If a tank is drained dry is could get mositure in it, if the valve is removed is can get debris inside, thus the industry standard for a re-VIP in those circumstances.

-Garrett

split0101:
At that point he stopped the fill, and started to yell at me that he was filling a tank that could have exploded. QUOTE]

I had a guy put on similar rant one time. He must have felt that I was in agreement with him, as I didn't rant back. I never complained, and never went back.

Web Monkey:
Your life is worth the extra $10. Let the guy VIP before filling.
Thats what I thought, so I let the guy VIP it for a cool $20 + $10 for a fill. In the end it's worth the piece of mind. It just would have been nice to know about this before I decided to purchase my tank.

Thanks everyone.

split0101:
Thanks what I thought, so I let the guy VIP it for a cool $20 + $10 for a fill. In the end it's worth the piece of mind. It just would have been nice to know about this before I decided to purchase my tank.
Thanks everyone.

Tanks are funny like that.

You're not just buying a tank, you're buying a process. Pretty much anybody who handles it has the oppportunity to render it unsafe.

Anyway, have fun! Now you have a tank and know where it's been and who used it and who filled it!

Terry

Stu S.:
Some of our dive stores do the partial pressure Nitrox fill. They want you to bring in your cylinder empty, ready to fill. They do not VIP the thing, they start adding oxygen.

What's the difference?
Really? Is this common eslewhere ? One data point does not make it acceptable.

Pete

spectrum:
Really? Is this common eslewhere ? One data point does not make it acceptable.

Pete
My shop does PP filling from empty, but I bring my tanks in with 2 to 5 hundred pounds, we drain them the rest of the way there and then fill.

Ironic that I posted on this thread this morning...

I went and hung out at my LDS for a couple hours today, during which time, someone who was not a regular customer and who to their knowledge hadn't been to the shop before, with a tank they had never filled before, came in with a (used) cylinder empty, zero zilch nada...

The owner said he have to VIP it to fill it, the guy left PO'd without a fill.

The owner said to us afterwards, and I'll paraphrase, "Let me point a shotgun at your nuts, it's probably unloaded...it's not worth getting hurt, losing my life or destroying my shop for a $5 fill", he also said "or what if it's gunked up with oil or whatever and the guy gets hurt and I get sued for bad air". He also added that if it's a regular (customer) and tanks he usually fills he'd have no problem with an empty sometimes a valve gets knocked in transport or whatever and it will completely drain, etc.

-Garrett

Back
Top Bottom