Shockproof/waterproof camera for diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

iancg1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all, I'm looking for a shockproof/waterproof camera that has an underwater housing available. I prefer a shockproof one since I will also be using it on dry land and I'm kind of rough on my stuff. So far, the Olympus Tough 8000 with Ikelite housing is my choice. Should I consider others? Or is this the way to go?

Also the Canon Powershot D10 has the same depth rating as the Oly 8000. Are there underwater housings available for it?

Ikelite did not do a housing for the D10. Id go with the Tough 8000 if you really want the shockproof camera for above water use.

I love my 8000

Hi all, I'm looking for a shockproof/waterproof camera that has an underwater housing available. I prefer a shockproof one since I will also be using it on dry land and I'm kind of rough on my stuff. So far, the Olympus Tough 8000 with Ikelite housing is my choice. Should I consider others? Or is this the way to go?

Don't buy an Olympus Tough 8000! Pictures are blurry, optics not sharpen, no HD movies, .... In fact it is even worse than Pentax W60 or Canon D10. I think you should rather think about Panasonic FT1 (or newest FT2) in UW housing, with superb OIS and HD movies and with excellent iA and Underwater modes.

What housing is available for the Panasonic? Did you try a side-by-side comparison with the T6000 or 8000? The Panasonic seems to have an edge with its HD capability.

What housing is available for the Panasonic? Did you try a side-by-side comparison with the T6000 or 8000? The Panasonic seems to have an edge with its HD capability.

In 2005 I bought my first compact UW camera Pentax OPTIO WP and after that four more Pentax W cameras (W10,W20,W30,W60). I also bougt two Olympus cameras 720SW and 1030SW. In 2009 I did an intensive test of Olympuses TOUGH 6000 & 8000 and Canon D10. Of course at the moment I enjoy in Panasonic FT1.

My observation as well as commonly known is that Olympus compact cameras are by far the worst in terms of general IQ (sharpness) and especially in movie and audio quality. Pentax cameras has decent IQ (clear & sharp) and also movie quality, but very bad avtomatic ISO selection and avtomatic scene detection. Canon D10 is too big and bulky, has good IQ but no HD movies. FT1 is winner in all categories, except in ruggednes, where Olys are winners.

Marine Housing DMW-MCFT1 is available for FT1 UW camera.

Thanks! I have a Pentax WPi myself, too bad they didn't make UW housings for it since it takes great pictures (although it cant take an SDHC).

When is the Panasonic FT2 coming out? I think its much more rugged since it can withstand 10m/33ft just like the Olympus T8000. I'd like that since I think its additional safety in case the UW housing gets flooded.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom