Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Macan

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
This is a video of my PADI AOW student learning how to deploy a DSMB in strong current conditions while maintaining position (vs drifting).

I thought I'd share this with the community to help new divers learn this essential skill. The video includes a step-by-step "how to" of the skill starting at 1:40.

The student in the video is learning so don't expect perfection :). Also, the video was shot in real world conditions (strong currents while on a safety stop) vs. a photo shoot in a pool or perfect ocean conditions :). Watch it in HD to see the details of the skill.

I hope this helps someone.

That was excellent and she appears to be a very accomplished diver. Personally I don’t care for or use an oral inflators. Usually if you are really having to deploy a life bag / DSMB then things have gone or go sideways. I prefer an open bottom so the reg never has to leave my mouth. Again, just my preference. Excellent video and hoods off to the diver.

Usually if you are really having to deploy a life bag / DSMB then things have gone or go sideways.

I like to deploy during drift dives. This is important in places like Cozumel, where dive boats are all over the place. I like to deploy just before I head up for my safety stop - about 40 - 50 feet deep. I will dump air from my BCD to put two breaths in the DSMB (to prevent rising up with the DSMB before the second breath). One breath seems to not be enough to keep more than two feet sticking up on the surface. It just seems to lie flat. I recently bought a weighted bottom inflate. I will see how I do with this new one.

Last edited:
What's the thought on keeping the reel and DSMB separate and assembling before deploying? In the video, it seems the reel and DSMB are attached already.

What's the thought on keeping the reel and DSMB separate and assembling before deploying? In the video, it seems the reel and DSMB are attached already.

My spool and DSMB are "attached", but not in a deployable way. I have to disassemble it to get the string so it will unwind. I keep it all attached to one end of the double ended brass snap and the other end to my BCD. I also knot my line every five feet for 25' with a double knot at 15'.

She reminds me more of a tec diver than a recreational diver.

Thanks for the comment. I'm the OP and a Tec Instructor. The diver in my video is my AOW recreational student. I teach my recreational students Tec skills and techniques even if they have no intentions of going Tec. It makes them safer, more responsible. They also stand out when they dive with other divers :).

Thanks for the comment. I'm the OP and a Tec Instructor. The diver in my video is my AOW recreational student. I teach my recreational students Tec skills and techniques even if they have no intentions of going Tec. It makes them safer, more responsible. They also stand out when they dive with other divers :).
I note that she did not look up before releasing the SMB. I met a diver last year who told me that he had once been snagged by a SMB and he landed in a decompression chamber as a result. Might be good to teach your students to look up before releasing the SMB.

Thanks for the video. Very helpful. A couple of q's @Macan - in the video at 3min there is a text saying 'chin tuck' - could you please explain what that's about?

How incorrect/correct is it to be in more of a seated position in open water? (I understand why in a strong current, close to bottom, the position in the video would be superior)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom