shooting video with Nikon D7000

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ahmed Yahya

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi
i wonder if anyone here can give me some practical advice on shooting underwater video with Nikon D7000. i used to shoot stills with strobes but when i tried to shoot video the outcome wasn't pleasing at all. i am looking for a complete workflow with some recommended settings may be ? I really appreciate all the help you can give.

Here are some examples I shot several years ago:

This is with an Aquatica housing, 4" mini dome port, Tokina 10-17mm. Mostly shot at 10mm. Two 35W HID video lights. I basically kept it around f/4.5 and as near to base ISO as I could (100-400). I focused a couple of times at something a few feet away, and then just left the focus alone. That kept infinity to within about a foot of the port in focus. Otherwise, I left everything else in manual (24 FPS, shutter at 1/50, 1080p). I white balance (against my dive buddy's open wetnotes) a few times as depth changes; this will help make post-dive editing easier.

I've been able to get two one hour dives off our Nikon D7000 battery keeping the camera in LV the entire time. Honestly, powering the video lights for that long has been a greater challenge. After two 60+ minute dives, I'd need to swap out SD cards anyway

Back
Top Bottom