shore dive buddy hollywood

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jscubadive

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
James again. Well finally finished buying all my gear this week. Went up to Hollywood and was going to dive but by the time I got ready it was getting a little rough and kept getting worse. Didn't see any dive flags out there, so I wasn't going to be the first. The lifeguards had green flags out but I then went up to John Lloyd park and they had yellow and purple flags. I could make out the dark shade of the first reef line everywhere, though there looked like large clumps of seaweed floating.

Found a number to call on surf conditions, but think they update it at 9 AM everyday.

If anybody wants to dive around the north Hollywood park sometime next week maybe we can meet up.

What type of dive sites are there? I am nearby, but never tried that area although I go to John Lloyd park quite often.

Here is a link from 2008 done by a diver I found on youtube and this is right where years before I use to snorkel and some diving. SCUBA Diving - Beach Dive off Hollywood Beach Florida - YouTube I have not dove this area since 1988 and possibly I have been told from all the beach reclaimation over the years, might have changed the reefs some, but I would like to dive some around there anyways. Best I remember going from shore you hit the first part of the first reef from a sand bottom in about eight feet of water, depending on tide. The further you go out, you would see some sea rods and sea fans, angelfish, smaller juvenille fish, I have seen lobster, barracuda, small green moray eels, golden spotted eel, sea urchins, conchs and such. Gradually in about fifteen to 20 feet would be a ledge in places then would go to a sand bottom. Further out some patch reef among alot of sand. About as far as I ever made it. Not sure where the second and third reef lines begin, but those were usually boat dives. They had more profile and deeper ledges in deeper water. I never dove from a boat there.

I dive lauderdale bts of the beach fairly often. when im doing a dive in the area i would be happy to do a meetup and dive hollywood park but cant do next week. will give any info when i can

Im currently doing an IDC in the keys, but I will be back in a few weeks and I will be doing multiple shore dives in that area. PM me anytime

I dive Hollywood quite often. One of my fav. places to dive. that video is north of Sheridan Street.. Forrest St. I think. Only watched the first few minutes, and what I saw is typical of Hollywood.

Hi scuba jenny, yeah I was first certified in 1979 off of Charleston street, just a little bit north of Forrest street. If you watch further in the video, there is a large broken pipe, I don't remember coming across that, I have heard and seen in other videos the one further south maybe Johnson street? the outfall, but that is not it. Maybe something left over from a beach reclaimation. We usually dove Sherman street which had free parking at the time, just south of Sheridan.

Sherman Street as you know it does not exist anymore. It is a walkway.
Watched the rest of the video and saw the pipes. Don't recall ever seeing them, but then its been years since I've dived up that way. I usually go for Johnson Street (actually the parking lot between Johnson and Michigan), just out from the lifeguard stand to the rock pile. I can see everything there that one can see on the reefs other places. Have also gotten a couple lionfish there too.

I am working on the coordinates for the start of the yellow brick road which leads to the rock pile. I'm pretty
sure I have the latitude line down ( just a little bit north of michigan street) . I believe it starts somewhere close
to the start of a reef and just north of the michigan street heading. Great dive, I usually run east along the south side
of the yellow brick road and rock pile on the way out and return on opposite side.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom