Shore dives around Leigh

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kiwi Sean

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi

My friend and I are planning a trip to Leigh (to visit people) in April. While we are there we thought it would be a good excuse to get in a few dives.

Can anyone suggest some good shore dives in the area? Goat Island and Matheson Bay Channel are already on the list, but I have only been in that part of the country once for a couple of hours, and would love to get some suggestions.

We can't do boat dives on this trip due to budget constraints.

Thanks heaps
Sean

I know a few people who have shore dived Daniel's Reef, it's a long swim! There are a few other places, but anything good either involves a long swim or a bit of a walk carrying gear.... if you're in to that, let me know and I'll PM you some suggestions along those lines.

You could look at Anchor Bay at Tawhranui, it's marine reserve and quite nice around the rocks, but shallow (if you get deeper than 5m, I'd be surprised). There's also Jones Bay, which is sheltered in most conditions unless the wind is SE-ly. I've never dived it, but Omaha Causeway is supposed to be a fun dive - but needs to be slack tide. You can also look at the mangroves around Whangateau - supposed to be an excellent night dive.

Something to consider is maybe doing some kayak diving? Goat Island Dive rent kayaks, I beleive. No idea how much, but it opens up a few more possibilities.

You could also try posting your question on a couple of the NZ forums, e.g. www.scubadive.net.nz/bb3 or www.sods.co.nz

Thanks Andy!

we don't mind doing a bit of walking or swimming, so if you could flick me those extra suggestions, that would be wonderful.

we really appreciate your advice

cheers
Sean

To the left or right as you exit Leigh harbour isnt too bad. But Goat Island is great. Just go there and spend a few days diving. Jones bay at Tawhranui is OK too.

But in the end if you want to get to the better sites get a kayak like Andy suggested or better yet a boat. Leigh reef is one of my favourite spots. Its about 1.5-2km from Leigh wharf. Or the Out post is popular at about half the distance. I have not been up there much lately (except yesterday) but I used to go once a month. When are you up? Could catch up for a dive?

Sean - Packhorse has a boat, if you ask him nice he might take you out to Leigh Reef.... one of my favourite dives, not just in the area but in all of NZ. It's beautiful out there.

Need a boat b!tch for the day, PH?

I've picked up a cold from one of work colleagues, which killed this weekend. I hate open plan offices! But yeah, maybe once I'm over that then I'll haul the anchor.

Not sure that you really want to trust me with your boat, though - about the extent of my knowledge is that the pointy bit goes forward most of the time..... :wink:

Then it sounds like you may want to to a SODs practical boat handling course. Nothing to in depth but I like to put any people who spend alot of time on my boat through it. More for my own benefit really. I like to know when I get back from a dive my boat will still be there. :rofl3:

Anyway Sean let us know if you are keen and when.

Hi guys

thanks for all the great suggestions.

we arrive in Leigh on Friday 24/4, and need to have stopped diving (for the flight home) by early/mid afternoon Sunday (26/4).

We'd love to meet up with you Packhorse, even if only for a shore dive up there. Might be able to check out one of your lights too (?) - we are talking about doing a night dive at Goat Island on Anzac day.

If that suited your schedule, that would be awesome.

Sean

Back
Top Bottom