Shore diviing motion sickness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Your right, when I did puke nothing come out. I should have had a good breakfast. Looks like alot of things added up to the final result.

Hey, Kritter, even if you feel ill, or do spew, make sure you drink, drink, drink!!! You can dehydrate very quickly.

Also, spewing something is way better than dry heaves. :yuck:

Ive had this couple of times.. I find drinking less beer the night before diving helps quite a lot :eyebrow:

Hanging in the surf for 3 minutes when youre seasick sucks but then again, not diving would be worse..

This past week I was in La Jolla to dive at the shores. I hired a guide to take me out on a 2 tank dive. Being a new arizona diver this was the first dive in the Ocean. The begining of the dive went great, got through the surf fine, dropped down everythink was feeling great. We explored the walls of the canyon, all ok. Time to head back we head up over the walls of the canyon, saw the sand, felt the surge and then BAM! My vision blers and my stomock starts reeling. We were close to shore so I swam as far as I could and surfaced and began puking. Boy its was hard getting back in after that. I did'nt feel good about doing the other dive so I called it a day. What a let down the big first trip and this happens.
The back story is I was sick about a week before. A head cold and lots of stuff coming from my sinus's. I felt good, I could equlize but not the normal pop more of a squeak, I thought It was ok. I also dove 2 days before and at the end of the first dive I also got sea sick but not so bad. I took a break and was Ok to dive again. Could the cold cause the seas sickness to come on easer? I am prone to motion sickness but it never happend before diviving (only 12 dives). How can I avoid this in the future? Most of my diving will be in San Diego and I dont want thi to happen again. Also why was the whole dive great until the end?
A few days later I went snorkling in lepord shark city and floated in the surf for an hour with no effect. I saw about 40 or so sharks in about 6 ft of water. They are beutiful they were a about 6-8 ft.
From your history of a cold and not being able to clear very well, it sounds like alternobaric vertigo to me. Basically it's caused by unequal clearing on ascent and it's worse in cold water. Seasick remedies won't help. Getting your airways clear will, so I'd bet you'd get a lot more relief from Sudafed or Afrin than from Dramamine or Bonine. If it happens again, try going a bit deeper. If the "seasick" feeling goes away, it's likely alternobaric vertigo. Best you can do is try clearing and keep your ascents ultra-slow. If it's a blue-water ascent and it hits you, not much you can do but try to maintain your slow ascent and get ready to puke.

I just wanted to add that my wife is another diver who is prone to get sea sick at the surface. She's been to Bonaire 3 times, and she doesn't like The Invisibles site due to the longer swim out, because she tends to get sea sick there. With her, getting in & getting underwater is a big deal.

Richard.

Reactions: Jax
I, too, get seasick in the water....on boats, ferrys, etc. I use Afrin nasal spray to help equalize my ears and take a Bonine about 30 minutes before diving. It lasts the entire day and doesn't make me sleepy. My sis gets motion sickness easily and Bonine works extremely well for her, too. Dramamine doesn't work well for either of us and makes us tired.

Keep diving and find the right treatment for you. There's just to darn much to miss if you're not underwater!

It absolutely could have been sea sickness. Like others have said, many of us struggle with the same condition. I know it doesn't work for everyone, but the prescription patch has worked GREAT for me. I don't dive without putting my patch on the night before I dive. When you are in the surf, don't focus on the bottom. If the surf is pushing you back and forth, and side to side, watching the bottom will only increase the feeling of sickness. What I try to do is steady myself on the bottom IF possible, then keep my eyes focused forward. If I can focus on a fixed position or spot ahead of me, that really helps. If possible, do your safety stop outside of the surf zone...if you know you are prone to sickness in the surf, do everything you can to get out of the surge as quickly as possible. You have gotten some good advice from many people. I know some people say that sea sickness is all in your head....well all I know is that it quickly moves to your stomach!! Good Luck!

This happened to me when I was doing my checkout dives for AOW. We were in shallow, clear water and the sunlight filtering through the water and shimmering on the white sand reaked havoc on my equilibrium. I puked during the post dive briefing and when we got out of the water at the dock. Quite embarassing actually. Swimming on the surface of the ocean also causes me to feel sick. Dramamine and Bonine work well for me.

Has anyone here ever actually puked through a regulator while underwater? Seems like being on the verge of puking could send someone on a dangerous rapid ascent. I seem to recall hearing that its fine to puke through a a reg.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom