shore diving anywhere in the Panhandle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kaeleynay

Reaction score
hello,

Looking for shore diving anywhere in the panhandle, from Pensacola to Horse Shoe Beach :). My husband and I will be driving from Northern AL to Gainesville, FL (where we live) and we are willing to detour anywhere in the panhandle if it will grant us a good shore dive. :wave:

The jettys at Panama City or the jettys and bridge at Destin. Just be aware of the tidal currents under the bridge.

Captain

Jetties @ Destin are always a good excuse to get wet. Long walk in full gear but if you catch it on a slack tide it can be a really good dive. Make sure you wear gloves because you will need to hold on to the rocks at times, even between tides.

Dave

Do you usually see many cool fish in the destin area? There are no coral reefs around there are there though right. I know you are probably are laughing at my question but I am all new to this.:wacko:

below_sea_level once bubbled...
Do you usually see many cool fish in the destin area? There are no coral reefs around there are there though right. I know you are probably are laughing at my question but I am all new to this.:wacko:

Destin has a many wrecks, rubble, and several small limestone reefs.

"Cool Fish" is in the eyes of the beholder.

The Jetties have small (2 inches or less) tropicals, grunts, and crabs.

The wrecks, rubble, and reefs have larger tropicals like Queen Angels.

You will also see Grouper, Red Snapper, Spadefish, Amberjack, spotted moray eels, and triggerfish.

There are a few Jewfish (Goliath Grouper) that hang around the wrecks, as well as Bullsharks and Nursesharks.

Barracuda are very common as well.

Click Here to see some of our fish.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom