Shore diving at Presidente?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tridacna

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Anyone know if there is any shore diving available at the Presidente?

I am suprised no one has brought up the issue of the Marine Park. As best as I know it is illegal to enter the water W/O a park guide and of course a fee. There is either an exception for close in bathers and snorkelers or they simply turn a blind eye. It has been my impression that the park boats are inoperative more often than not so this argument is actually not real the primary impediment.
To myself the primary issue would be safety. I belive that this area has mixed currents that swap back and forth and topside is the primary boat channel for the marina access. I belive you might be better off a little south near Fiesta Americana where (I believe) the current is more predictably light towards the south.
With the Norte since Saturday I would think the entries and exists might be a little rough.

IOW...no?

The shore Dive in front of the Presidente is nice and uncomplicated as long as you don't go out too far. That is where I did my first three certification OW dives in 1991. They were generous and let me go on a boat for Paradise Reef for the fourth one. But stay close to shore and you will be fine.

And no one from the National Park is going to care at all.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Are you asking about the Intercontinental Presidente? If so, then yes. I stayed there last November but only snorkeled. However there were others that were scuba diving right off the beach between the restaurants and other off the concrete docks.

Has anyone dove with Scuba Du? (Their website needs updated.)

There have been some big organizational changes in the last year, but I don't doubt that they are at least safe. Many other options.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

There have been some big organizational changes in the last year, but I don't doubt that they are at least safe. Many other options.

I assume you mean "big organizational changes" to their in-house dive op, not to the hotel operation or the hotel itself - right?

FWIW, we love the Intercontinental El Prez - had a great stay with them last year, and going back in February 2018 - very much looking forward to it. Beautiful rooms and facility, very comfy (certainly not cheap by a long stretch - we're using points for most of our stay otherwise we would be at the Hotel Coz). I have a preferred dive op, and don't have any plans to use theirs, but IME the hotel itself is great. Hope that doesn't change.

Just on the south end of the El Presidente beach is a neat area to get in and we dove there before they blocked it off. I'd go back in a moment if we could get in.

We used to stay there several times a year, but there's no convincing reason to use the on-site dive op and some good reasons to use the independent ops that most members here favor, so we never went with Scuba Du.

One used to be able to go and have a drink or snack and do some swimming and snorkeling at their nice little beach and roped-off snorkeling area. We did that fairly frequently because it was peaceful and quiet and the food and drinks were good. We could rent a tank inexpensively at the dive hut right at the beach for an equipment check-out dive or just a low-stress long, shallow meandering shore dive. Unless you get fairly far from shore, currents are usually barely noticeable there.

More recently they wanted one to rent a room for an all-inclusive day rate or otherwise wouldn't permit use of the beach or facilities. It could make sense if one were coming off a cruise for the day, since the fee was in line with other inclusive beach clubs and it included a nice place to nap. We have an even nicer place to nap a short distance away but even showing them a Cozumel driving license wouldn't get them to budge. I sort of miss it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom