shore diving etiquette

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dfepeman

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Here's a naive question:

The buddy system is ingrained in certification, but I've been wondering whether it's okay to do solo shore diving in the shallows. My wife snorkels, and I've been considering some of the shore diving options that might go well with a snorkeler (like Chankanaab or Dzhul Ha). Any opinions on that?

Of course the best option would be to find someone at my Hotel (the Cabbanas) that wants to be a dive buddy, but in an imperfect world I might not find someone with similar tastes, etc.

A related question: I have taken my wife on several diving/snorkeling excursions, and they are almost always not good for snorkelers (too deep). Does anyone know if Cozumel has a site that is a good combination of the two?

Thanks for any advice,

Dean

One place in Cozumel I can think of for both shore diving and snorkeling is the old plane wreck in front of LaCeiba/El Cid Hotel. We've frequently seen snorkelers above us and even have the occasional freediver buzz us while we're there. The plane itself may be a bit deep for your wife but there's a good line of coral heads just before the plane that she would enjoy.

Coz has great shore diving and as Dee has posted right in front of the le Ceiba hotel is good diving/snorkeling. Del mar aquatics are on site and you can get a tank right there for 5 bucks. You will both like it.

Thanks for the advice about shore diving sites. I'm still not sure about the buddy issue. A snorkeler is not really considered a dive buddy, even if you are both puttering around in the shallows, right? Do dive operations that rent shore tanks insist that you have a partner?

I notice that most of the snorkeling trips sponsored by dive shops go to the same reefs that you can access from shore anyhow. I wonder if there are any non-shore accesible places dive operations go with snorkelers.

I'm getting nervous about getting to Cozumel: The weather forecast for our area (Southeast Wyoming and Denver) is snow up to and including the day we fly out. Shoveling snow while thinking about Cozumel these past few days has been surreal!

Keeping my fingers crossed,

Dean

dfepeman,

It is smart to dive with a buddy, but my personal opinion is that a self confident person who is diving within sport diving depths and gives a lot of slack in the tables should have no problem diving alone. There is quite a controversy about this, but it depends on the circumstances. For instance, I have been diving in the kelp forests of northern California, and realized that having an air problem when the kelp might keep you from a free ascent would be a real bummer. However, when there isn't such an ascent restriction I personally don't see a problem.

I fly airplanes, sometimes at night, and sometimes in the clouds, but I keep my airplane in good condition and have faith in my abilities and my equipment. Take the proper precautions and you minimize the risk. I there anything that doesn't present some risk(e.g.passing on a two lane road in wyoming, or even just driving along with the potential of the oncoming driver being distracted?

All we can do is reduce the potential for a negative event until we are comfortable with the activity we are involved in.

Have a great time!

bclem

Bclem:

Thanks for the reply. I was wondering if people would get on me for having the temerity to suggest solo diving, but I am still in one piece. I'll have to go see what the conditions are like and play it by ear.

Dang, the long-range weather forecast for the first 2-3 days in Cozumel calls for rain showers. I'm crossing my fingers-- diving is so much nicer on a sunny day (unless all you want to do is shine your light under ledges looking for critters).

We lost eight student atheletes on the road south of town here just last Fall, so I know what you mean about risks in day-to-day living.

Peace,

Dean

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom