Shore diving in east Oahu

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadawgs

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Aloha,
Im going to be moving to the Hawaii Kai area starting in the middle of July. I would love to make some dive buddies in the area, and want to know which dive shops your prefer. Im 22 years old, and will be studying life sciences as kapiolani college, then hoping to move on to marine bio. At UH. So it looks like i'll be diving oahu for quite some time. If i can find time to dive every day I will, but even here in Georgia I still manage to get out at least once a week. So, if you love to shore dive and want a good, eco-friendly dive buddy im your guy.

Thanks!

Island Divers is in Hawaii Kai...good group of guys there. There are some shore dives on that side but the conditions aren't always great. But the island isn't all that big that you can't drive anywhere on the island for shore diving.

There are a few dive shops that either own or charter boats operating out of Hawaii Kai. Island Divers is one; Aarons (located in Kailua) operates out of Hawaii Kai and Waianae. Visit 'em all, go out on a bunch of charters, and see what you like best.

There's some shore diving around the south side of the island...China Walls, Lanai Lookout and Blowhole are three of the better-known sites. But as my fiance says, "a person has to be one part scuba diver and two parts mountain-goat" to access them. They are best dived during the winter, when south side conditions are calmer. Don't attempt those shore dives for the first time without a guide. The diving itself is pretty easy, but entry and exit can be tricky, and folk unaccustomed to local conditions can't always ascertain whether the site is diveable or if it's unsafe on a given day.

Diving off the windward side (east side) of Oahu...meh. I wouldn't bother until you make a friend with a boat. The better dive sites are quite a way off shore, and moreover, conditions are hard to predict. You can have a lovely, flat and seemingly clear ocean, with visibility that winds up being 10 feet or so when you finally splash...a far cry from the limitless vis often seen off other parts of the island.

Cool, thanks alot guys. One issue is that im an unemployed student who will be living with my parents so charters are out of the question with the amount of diving I plan to do. I know its not all that far to get around the island, so what are your favorite shore dives on all of Oahu?

well, you can't be a diver on Oahu and not ever dive Electric Beach. But that's on the west side and far from Hawaii Kai. In the summertime, diving the North Shore is must.

North Shore is awesome in season. Pupukea (Shark's Cove), Firehouse and Three Tables are superb. Haleiwa Trench if you want to hear music from "The Twilight Zone" humming softly in your ear. Be sure to start your morning's dives with breakfast burritos at Kono's in Haleiwa washed down with loads of Kona coffee or a carmelized banana milkshake made with fresh bananas. Mmm, yes. Be sure to get to the dive sites early, as parking (especially on weekends) can be a big challenge. There are also a couple of shore dives in Waimea Bay, which I bet are delightful. Haven't done them yet, though (parking is extra-tight at Waimea, and the mere thought of schlepping me and my gear from the car park, or worse yet, the hill above the car park, across the expanse of beach is exhausting...yes, I am terribly lazy when it comes to walking across sand).

South side (in season): Lanai Lookout and Blowhole. Amazing, and you'll be blown away with the sound of humpback whale song resonating off the walls. The not-for-the-fainthearted climb down to the dive site (and back up) will make you feel extra bad-ass. Take a guide the first few times, especially for Lanai Lookout. I can't stress that enough.

Electric Beach (Kahe Point) on the leeward side of the island is a nice orientation dive. There are also some dives near Waianae that can be made form shore, albeit with pretty long surface swims: for example, Makaha Caverns is lovely, whereas Wedding Arch is simply frickin' amazing. Be sure not to leave anything valuable in your car, though.

Enjoy!

I echo vinegarbiscuit's comments. I'd add that a good option would be to join a dive club. The upfront cost will be earned back in the shore dives you make and the dive buddies/friends you meet. There simply isn't a faster way to meet good divers who you feel safe to dive with. I highly recommend Friends of Kaimana Divers (FOKD) as a good club to join. Log In | Facebook.

Shark's Cove will be good for you till around Sept. (along with the rest of the North Shore) and then it will be the West and South sides of the island again till the next spring/summer.

You'll find that all the companies know each other and pretty much get along. It's all about finding which group of people better fit your mindset and jumping right it. Get ready to have some fun while here, it's a great place to dive!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom