Shore diving in Fiji

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sas

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have a few questions about shore diving in Fiji. I am organising a holiday there in September and one of the resorts I would like to stay at has excellent snorkelling off the beach. About 6m of water with heaps of marine life, so I was hoping do some long shore dives to take photos. The dive shop at the resort has said that shore diving is not allowed as it is a marine protected area and that I would have to book a dive package (quite expensive) and only do boat diving. Some of the boat diving sites appear to be sites I could reach off the shore on my own...

Anyway, is this actually the case that diving is not allowed in marine protected areas? If not, why is snorkelling allowed? It didn't make much sense to me... The boat dives are much too expensive for me to consider booking a boat diving package with them.

I am also interested (seeing as this resort doesn't look like a possibility due to its lack of shore diving) in other resorts that would have good shore diving. One I saw, Beqa Lagoon Resort, had unlimited shore diving and the overall package seemed good and well-priced. Any one been to Beqa recently? If so what was the resort and also the shore diving like? The package includes 9 boat dives and I was wondering what kinds of sites they will go to as a few of the people I am travelling with would prefer sites under 30m.

Thanks in advance for any advice :)

The first case sounds like the resort just want you to buy a dive package - I have never heard of shore diving being illegal in a marine reserve in Fiji...! Sounds like ....BS..! And I can guess where it is - some of the dive operators in Fiji charge huge prices for their packages - that's one reason I keep going back to Beqa Lagoon Resort. The shore diving is very good and almost all of the dives are multilevel corall bommies shallower than 30 metres {the best diving is above 10 metres}! I've written a report on Beqa Lagoon (somewhere in this forum) and did an article for Sportdiving (called "Diving with the firewalkers") last year. You might find it on their website Dive The Blue . net . I actually have a small group of around 20 going back to Beqa Lagoon Resort this September (25/09 to Oct 03 departing Melbourne) and we've also already booked it for July 2010. I love the place and consider it to be brilliant value. Here are the details - we might be able to fit in another few if you wish to join us - email me on awiggs@tps.vic.edu.au if intersted

THE DEAL: We will be flying Air Pacific Melbourne – Nadi (Fiji); followed by a 2 – 2.5 hour air-cond. coach transfer to Pacific Harbour and a 35 minute boat transfer to Beqa. Inclusive of all transfers
 all airfares
 7 Nights at Beqa Lagoon Resort
 all meals at BLR (3 gourmet meals per day)
 1 night at Pearl Resort Pacific Harbour (breakfast only included here)
 Kayaks, Paddleboards, Body boards are all available for guest use free of charge
 The 10 dive package includes 10 boat dives with AIRFILLS; TANK; WEIGHTBELT; DIVE GUIDE SERVICES. Unlimited free shore diving is offered.  The surf package is the same price as the dive package and includes 5 ½ day surfing excursions to Frigate Passage.
 One exciting optional extra is the Shark dive with the Beqa Bull Sharks, Silvertips and maybe even a Tiger Shark (for those suitably experienced and qualified).
Q U O T A T I O N I N C L U S I O N S

AIRFARE
• Melbourne- Nadi - Melbourne
Flying Air Pacific (Subject to receipt of $100 p/p within specified period by Air pacific)
ACCOMMODATION
• Beqa Lagoon Resort Fiji – 7nights deluxe Fijian Bure twin/triple/quad
• Pearl Resort Pacific Harbour – 1 night gardenview twin share
DIVING
• Beqa Lagoon Resort Fiji – 10 Boat Dives per person
• Free shore diving Beqa Lagoon Resort
• Tanks / Weights / Air Fills

OTHER INCLUSIONS
• All Meals Beqa Lagoon Resort
• Continental Breakfast Pearl Resort
• Return Coach and Boat transfers BLR

NETT C O S T I N G

Total Package Cost $2756.00 Per Diver
$2528.00 Per Non Diver
$1231.00 Per Child (Under 12yrs sharing)

Taxes/Surcharges $350.00 Per Adult
$280.00 Per Child (Under 12yrs)

Last edited:
Thanks Wiggsy for that info! :)

I have a few more questions - how is the shore diving? Is there a lot to see and are the conditions good close to shore? And with the boat diving, what kind of depths are they at?

We are hoping to go early September so unfortunately cannot book on that trip (also there is six of us so might be a bit much to squeeze onto another trip!). Hoping to do 10 days too but would probably do shore dives rather than book more than 10 boat dives.

Shore diving is very good - not great but good to very good providing you don't have on shore winds. I did not do a lot of shore dives but a mate of mine loved thema nd did one every afternoon - striaght out from the dive shop and out to the left is the best. The boat dives are all closely guided and generally start at around 25 metres and then gently work up the bommie to a safety stop (in blazing sunlight with brilliant colour) at around 5 metres. most of the dive sites are also suitable for snorkellers on the bommie crest while we dive the bommie walls. Say hello to Mark (manager) for me and if you contact Ian Lockwood at Allways (9885-8863) he'll look after you. I've booked five trips now to BLR with Ian - everything has gone without a hitch. It is a very professional resort and you will love the place. I reckon I'd have to spend at least 500 bucks more to find a better deal in Fiji.

Shore diving is very good - not great but good to very good providing you don't have on shore winds. I did not do a lot of shore dives but a mate of mine loved thema nd did one every afternoon - striaght out from the dive shop and out to the left is the best. The boat dives are all closely guided and generally start at around 25 metres and then gently work up the bommie to a safety stop (in blazing sunlight with brilliant colour) at around 5 metres. most of the dive sites are also suitable for snorkellers on the bommie crest while we dive the bommie walls. Say hello to Mark (manager) for me and if you contact Ian Lockwood at Allways (9885-8863) he'll look after you. I've booked five trips now to BLR with Ian - everything has gone without a hitch. It is a very professional resort and you will love the place. I reckon I'd have to spend at least 500 bucks more to find a better deal in Fiji.

Ok thanks again for the info. I love shore dives so will probably want to be out each afternoon myself :) Another question (hope you don't mind them all :)) - do you have to do closely guided dives? I am not so keen on DM led dives personally so was wondering whether a DM is optional or not... It is great to hear snorkelling is an option though, as at least one person on the trip is not a diver but likes to snorkel.

I have noticed that for a similar deal, other places are much more expensive so it looks pretty appealing. If I pick that place I'll say hi to Mark :) Have to put it to the group to see what they think.

The DM is necessary to navigate around the dive site - some of them involve a few twists and turns and the occasional 'swim-through' (coral tunnel)...The purpose of the guide is really to pick out some pretty interesting things to show you - you might miss out on some critters (leaf fish, nudibranchs, etc.) and I was amazed to se Delana having his teeth cleaned by cleaner shrimp. We actually learnt early on to keep an eye out and watch the dive guides (they are the local experts and you miss out on a lot without them) They are also essential for your safety if you choose to do the amazing Shark dive at Beqa. I actually have an article coming out soon in Sportdiving on the Tiger Shark dive. Click on my photos link to the left and you'll see the big beautiful Tiger. If you PM me or give me your e-mail I can forward you a .pdf file of both of the articles I've done for Sportdiving. But you could just tag along in the distance, like my mate Tom who always just does his own thing (no buddy) and just picks his own depth. The dive guides are totally relaxed and will do whatever you want. The excepetions are the wreck dives (simple - no real penetrations) and Fantasy (which has a ripper current). On those dives you do have to follow the dive guide, but with 30 metre vis, typical, you can be 15-20 metres away with no worries at all.

Re surface snorkellers, BLR allows snorkellers to fill up spaces on the boat free of charge. This is a real bonus (free snorkeling trips!). At most other resorts they'll charge 25$ easy for a boat snorkelling trip. Our kids usually came out ont he boat - they played cards with the crew on the way out, snorkelled around the boat with one of the deck hands supervising, and generally had a great time. And every afternoon there is some small cultural activity - walk to the waterfall; firewalking; village visit, etc. so there is always something to do. It really is the most generous place I have ever been to and the food is 5 star. You're gonna love it - contact Ian Lockwood and mention my name (I book a heap of travel - 3 groups this year) with him and he should bend over backwards to help you. He really does know BLR well. And have you worked out when slack water arrives for Sorrento Pier yet? (Yes - I saw your post and hope you aren't totallly confused now!)

:rofl3: I thought you must be the same Wiggsy from that thread. Well I have a better idea now. Next time we dive it we are going to bring a little buoy or something like that to measure the current so we know when it is slack. :) Seeing as it can vary quite a bit. That site is worth the hassle working things out.

Well the resort sounds perfect for us. I'll PM you my email so I can read the articles. Thanks for all your advice :)

Thanks Hodge Podge! Very handy map :) I am used to shore diving in murky water, I am sure it won't nearly be as bad as what it can be locally :wink: And even if it is, I enjoy local diving so Fiji should be fun also.

I echo the comments made about BLR. We went there in Jul 2007 (we have scheduled a return in 2010) and found the resort and diving to be really, really good. The dive package is reasonably priced and I would highly recommend the boat diving. We never found the DM's to be over protective during the dive and let everyone dive their profile. However, Wiggsy is correct, that the DM's know the area and where to find the critters. I usually stay close because they will find all the neat things. I did one shore dive while I was there and it was good but not great. The boat diving is so much better. Here is a link to my review of the resort and diving Beqa Lagoon Resort a Great Place to Stay - Review of Beqa Lagoon Resort, Beqa Island, Fiji - TripAdvisor. If you click on my "photos" link in the left pane under my name, you will see other photos I took.

Regards,

Bill

Back
Top Bottom