Shore Diving in Ft Myers (20Dec-3 Jan)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

namtlar

Registered
Reaction score
I'm coming down to Ft Myers during the Christmas/New Year break to look at houses. I've already reserved a place to stay during that time, and diving every opportunity I can while there. (The wife has the final say on the house, so she can look while I dive. :wink: )

Is there anyone interested in shore diving during that time? What type wet suit should I bring? 3mm full?

I just want to get wet, and get a good idea of the diving in the area.

Dont know if youve ever been here before , but ..... there really is no shore diving here. Most of the hard bottom is 12-15 mile off shore. Thats not to say there isnt some great diving in the area, but unless you want to take a ride up to Venice or of to the other coast plan on a charter. As for the wet suit last year round that time surface temps were in the mid to low sixties and I was wearing a 5ml with a hood.Good luck

Acutally, if it were not for the boaters who are absolutely clueless to boating laws and regulations and shouldn't own boats in the first place making Lee Counties waters something like trying to dive in a large blender that has random blade placements trying to turn most any person who wants to enjoy the water into shark chum, the bottom is quite lively.

On the few occaisions I have put in some bottom time, though shallow and summer time when people have fled the area, my wife and I saw a lot of wild life! It is quite a fascinating ecosystem live and undisturbed and a shame it can't be better enjoyed.

For the most part, I head to Venice area for my shore diving on this coast. Otherwise we go to "the other side" and visit the Ft Lauderdale bunch for some nice shallow reef dives. :)

CBulla once bubbled...
Acutally, if it were not for the boaters who are absolutely clueless to boating laws and regulations and shouldn't own boats in the first place...
Yeah, you replied about something like that in another thread saying that you'd a close encounter of the propeller kind. :eek:

...For the most part, I head to Venice area for my shore diving on this coast. Otherwise we go to "the other side" and visit the Ft Lauderdale bunch for some nice shallow reef dives. :)
I guess I'll just have to check out Venice, or Ft Lauderdate then, because the plan is to dive, and check out houses on the side. :wink:

I really hope that you and Walter (I hear is the area shore diving expert,) will be available for a couple of dives.

Cheers,
Robin

Faust once bubbled...
Dont know if youve ever been here before , but ..... there really is no shore diving here. Most of the hard bottom is 12-15 mile off shore. Thats not to say there isnt some great diving in the area, but unless you want to take a ride up to Venice or of to the other coast plan on a charter. As for the wet suit last year round that time surface temps were in the mid to low sixties and I was wearing a 5ml with a hood.Good luck
That's good to know. I've never been there, and that's one of the main reasons I'm coming down. I'm looking for a place that is closer to the water. Actually, more accessable for shore diving than it is here in NC. I wasn't going to bring my 5mm, and would have gone to get a 3mm. So I really appreciate the info about the suit.

Robin

Well if you come to Ft. Lauderdale I'd be willing to hit up a shore dive with ya. Commercial pier has a really nice shore dive. One of my personal faves. Dania Beach Pier does as well although I've personally never had much luck there. Just let me know if you come to this area.

amelo1999 once bubbled...
Well if you come to Ft. Lauderdale I'd be willing to hit up a shore dive with ya. Commercial pier has a really nice shore dive. One of my personal faves. Dania Beach Pier does as well although I've personally never had much luck there. Just let me know if you come to this area.

I've only been able to dive 4 times since coming back to the states. And everything up here has shut down for the season. You can count on me making that one of my stops. :D

I plan on getting as much diving in as possible. My guess is that the only thing pulling me out of the water will be the wife, when she finds a house that she wants me to look at with her. :wink:

That sounds pretty reasonable! I'll go with that train of thought. Maybe I'll have a manasota key victim.. I mean, dive buddy then :wink: I want to dive there again anyway.. or a venice dive buddy for a mid-week dive since I am off during that time anyway. :)

I'll post again about this when I'm down there, or at least a couple of days before heading out, with the hopes of setting a time to meet.

I'm really excited about this too. =-)

Cya,
Robin

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom