Shore diving in the Big Island? Accessible to the visitor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rhone

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm trying to get a sense of how accessible shore diving is to the traveler while on the Big Island. My wife and I are coming for a trip in October, staying at the Hilton Waikoloa (cashed in Hilton points, so it was free...I realize there are perhaps better places to stay, for a variety of reasons, but none of them beat free).

Our plan is to do at least 2 days of boat charters, perhaps 3 (depending on whether we shore dive), and most certainly a Manta dive. I'm still deciding whether to try Kona or Kohala operations, or both.

My real question, then, is how does one go about shore diving while there? Is it easy/convenient to rent tanks/weights from a shop, and is it easy to figure out where to go? Are there groups of people who meet and go together, and do any shops maintain lists such as this? I'm all for hassle free diving that charters offer, and I am eternally thankful that such operations exist (thus, I will support them with at least a few dives), but I'm also not afraid to lug my gear if the diving's good and the price is right!

Any insight would be most helpful.

Rhone,

My wife and I recently enjoyed a great week of diving there. We found it very easy to rent equipment and dive wherever the access allowed. This site is a good start to finding dive sites:
Scuba Shore Diving Site Listing for: The Big Island, Hawaiian Islands

I didn't notice any way to contact other wayward divers there that wanted to get together for group shore dives but I suspect the best place to run into them is through some of the dive shops.

We chartered for most of our dives and we went out with Dive Makai. They can take up to 12 divers and our dives with them were most pleasant due to their professional and fun crew. Sandwich Isle divers operate out of a six pack and they are equally pleasant and professional. You will do well with either one of them. They both do the Manta dive as well.

Please feel free to PM me for more details if you like.

I'm trying to get a sense of how accessible shore diving is to the traveler while on the Big Island. My wife and I are coming for a trip in October, staying at the Hilton Waikoloa (cashed in Hilton points, so it was free...I realize there are perhaps better places to stay, for a variety of reasons, but none of them beat free).

Our plan is to do at least 2 days of boat charters, perhaps 3 (depending on whether we shore dive), and most certainly a Manta dive. I'm still deciding whether to try Kona or Kohala operations, or both.

My real question, then, is how does one go about shore diving while there? Is it easy/convenient to rent tanks/weights from a shop, and is it easy to figure out where to go? Are there groups of people who meet and go together, and do any shops maintain lists such as this? I'm all for hassle free diving that charters offer, and I am eternally thankful that such operations exist (thus, I will support them with at least a few dives), but I'm also not afraid to lug my gear if the diving's good and the price is right!

Any insight would be most helpful.

Hi rhone,

Here is a good link to shore diving sites here on the Big Island:

Scuba Shore Diving Site Listing for: The Big Island, Hawaiian Islands

From where you will be staying, "Puako Village End" is about a 10 minute drive, and a terrific shore dive.

I took my family there (we were staying at a condo near the Hilton) yesterday. The entry/exit is easy, and it is just a short surface swim out to the reef. Best time to dive along any of the Kohala coast is morning, the earlier the better. The wind tends to kick-up late morning, so try to get in the water before 9 or 10 am..

There are a number of shops to choose from in Kona, and I believe Kohala Divers is in the Kawaihae Shopping Center and I think they are open 7 days a week; here is a link to their site:

Scuba Diving in Hawaii with Kohala Divers

I've never rented from Kohala Divers (I live here and have all my own gear) but I've heard good things about them. Kawaihae is about 15 minutes from where you'll be staying.... and another 10-15 minutes past Kawaihae is Mahukona, another good shore dive.

Enjoy your trip!

When I first moved here Dick Dresie's site LET'S GO SHORE DIVE'N' on the Kona Coast was more or less my shore diving bible at first. It's fairly good info.

I agree Puako would be a good shore diving spot if the surf cooperates and you're a semi-experienced shore diver. It's got a shallow reef before you get out to the drop off that looks easy, but can actually be a bit of a challenge if you've got more than 6-12 inches of surf. Mornings are usually pretty good, afternoon winds can stir things up as far as viz there goes, any significant swell and I'd bag it.

If you can make it all the way down to Honaunau, I consider it to be one the top all-round shore dive sites in the state with it's combo of ease of access, reef, viz and such. Up north Kohala Divers should be able to help you with tanks and info, all of the Kona operators in Kailua that have shops should be able to help you out with tanks and info for shore stuff down that direction.

Have fun,

Thanks for the great sites and information. We can't wait.

I just did what you are going to do. Check out this thread:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/hawaii-ohana/293004-hawaii-kohala-report.html

In my opinion, Kohala Divers is a great way to go given where you are staying (same place I stayed,) whether for boat diving or for renting gear for shore diving. As Steve says above, if you're going to focus on shore diving, despite the trek Honaunau is not to be missed.

+1 for Kohala Divers. Nice people. Their boat goes to nice spots with lots of fish and interesting structure. And their rental gear is in generally good shape (a scubapro shop I believe).

A couple notes about Puako... please drive slowly down the street. It says 25 mph but most folks drive even slower. Be mindful when you're parking in the public shore access areas along the road of people's houses. You might be blocking people's driveways and not know it.

Also be careful when you are in the shallows before the reef dropoff. That area is very delicate please try not to walk on the rocks and coral once you get in. Swim out as soon as possible. The same goes for coming back in. Snorkel or swim for as long as you can.

And please please leave the turtles alone. Try not to wake them up in their hidey holes. Please don't chase them or go out of your way to scare them. Don't hang on to them or come up close to take photos. It's their house... we're just visiting.

If you have any questions about diving Puako or Kohala please shoot me a PM.

Thanks!

-Eric

Great, thanks for the insight about Kohala Divers. I've been going back and forth about where to dive for my charters, Kona or Kohala, and from what I've read recently, Kohala Divers is probably my best bet, even more so if I also coordinate through them supplies for shore diving. As it happens, my wife and I both dive Scubapro setups, so nice to know they'd be able to take care of us if we have equipment problems, too.

And no worries, sockmonkey...we don't touch/bother the wildlife or fish. Just enjoy looking.

I forgot to mention that your other option if you're staying in Waikoloa is Blue Wilderness Dive Adventures. (their website sucks) While Kohala Divers is only 15 mins away BWDA is right in Waikoloa. They've got a small RHIB they trailer around and provide fairly personalized service. The boat only holds six people which is nice but it is also a smaller boat than Kohala Diver's. Neither boat is very busy or crowded.

Of course don't forget about heading down to Kona for the manta dive. From what I hear Steve's (friscuba) Wanna Dive is an excellent option.

-Eric

(no affiliation with either shop... I just know nice people that work there)

Great, thanks for the insight about Kohala Divers. I've been going back and forth about where to dive for my charters, Kona or Kohala, and from what I've read recently, Kohala Divers is probably my best bet, even more so if I also coordinate through them supplies for shore diving. As it happens, my wife and I both dive Scubapro setups, so nice to know they'd be able to take care of us if we have equipment problems, too.

And no worries, sockmonkey...we don't touch/bother the wildlife or fish. Just enjoy looking.

Back
Top Bottom