Shore diving Kau'ai

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

motspach

Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys
Just finished up a fantastic week in Maui with scubashack - we're now in Kau'ai for my sisters wedding and would love to sneak in a few dives around the schedule. All of the dive operators are exclusively on the south side at this time of year but I'm in Princeville - is there any safe diving to do up this way or do I have to drive all the way round the island for a dip? The local lifeguard suggested tunnels on thursday but from what I've read the currents can be quite strong. Would you recommend diving without a guide on the north shore or do the safer option and do something like koloa landing?
Thanks!

It's a bummer I didn't see your post until now. I've been on Kauai for about the last week or so and was able to get a fair amount of good diving in. As I'm sure you heard there isn't much available up north this time of year. I was considering doing tunnels a couple days ago when the seas were fairly calm. Normally I would have just picked up gear and gone on my own but due to the unpredictability of the ocean on this end in the winter months I tried to get a guide for my wife and I. I called FF/ocean quest and they told me in no uncertain terms that they did not do the north shore this time of year. (They are the shop that frequently does tunnels) Your best bet would be to take a full day and go south. Rent gear and do a shore dive or two at koloa landing in the morning, and then book a couple of boat dives in the afternoon.(or vice versa) Another option would be to call bubbles below and see if they have something special available on the horizon. They were able to put together a Niihau trip last week which was absolutely phenomenal diving. Best ocean dives I've been on bar none. Good luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom