shore diving, photos, and deco stop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deputydan1

Contributor
Reaction score
hey all,

please excuse my newbie-ness....

but anyhow, the wife and i are going to coz this weekend....i got unlimited shore diving as part of my package at the presidente.....i hope to use this time to practice my shots....

since i won't be too deep at all, but will be practicing as much as i can, do i need to do any deco stops??? safer? or not to worry??

thanks,

-dan

ps> anyone know what the EV this is??? 1/3? 1/2?????? i have an oly8080...

deputydan1:
hey all,

but anyhow, the wife and i are going to coz this weekend....i got unlimited shore diving as part of my package at the presidente.....i hope to use this time to practice my shots....

since i won't be too deep at all, but will be practicing as much as i can, do i need to do any deco stops??? safer? or not to worry??

thanks,

-dan

If you have these type of questions I would leave the camera behind and concentrate on the diving first. Seriously if you haven't been in the water in a while you might want to get some warm up dives.

true indeed~

it's been a while since we dove last....and i will be taking a refresher......

thanks anyhow,

-dan

I don't know what your experience is but I'm going to assume you mean safety stops and not deco stops. I would say that if you are going to stay above 25' then it's not necessary to do a safety stop but it's up to you. If you happen to go deeper then 25' I would say for you to do one. The safety stop doesn't have to be boring, find a shallow reef and use the time to take pictures, swim around at that depth and check things out.

Take note of your depth and time and you might find that after ascending back to a shallower depth and swimming around that you have done your safety stop and didn't even realize it.

Remember to plan your dive before hand and stick to the plan and always dive with a buddy when ever possible.

As for EV 1/3, 1/2.
I believe that's your exposure compensation. It works in steps, either 1/3 of a step or 1/2 of a step, depending on what you have it set for. Try both settings in different modes and situations and see which one works for you. It's more of an advanced feature so once you get familiar with the camera you will be more comfortable with it.

P.S. Your manual should explain all this or go to the Olympus site for more answers.

deputydan1:
hey all,

thanks,

-dan

The shore dives I did in Coz were great and the max depth was only 23 feet so the whole thing is basically one 90+ minute safety stop. You do have to be careful and stay close to the bottom since there are lots of boats and you can get too close to the surface without realizing it. I got some of my best pictures on shore dives.

If you have been hunting for seahorses in the 7' deep flats, then I recommend a deep stop at 1/2 the depth, i.e. 3', 6". :wink:

As TostitoBandito says, the dives are relatively shallow. IIRC, there's about a 7' depth flat, which drops off to about 20-25'.

Back
Top Bottom