Shore diving Pt. Lobos recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zalophus

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi All - My buddy and I are planning on diving Lobos this Sunday for the first time. Most likely we'll do two dives (single tank), both from shore. I've looked at some maps; middle reef looks accessible from the boat ramp area, but it sounds like it may not be the best spot in terms of vis and critters. Does anyone have any suggestions for our dive plan? Any insights/thoughts are welcome. Thanks!

The vis may not be the best, but if you like nudibranchs and other invertebrates you will be happy. There are some fish also. I saw a huge cabezon yesterday and several kelp rockfish and perch.
Cab.jpg

Save some air for swimming back just UNDER the kelp. At this time of year the kelp is almost thick enough to walk on. Great place to dive. I've never had an uninteresting dive there, and some spectacular ones. If you like a long swim try "hole in the wall" on the BAUE site.

Thanks everyone for the tips! The BAUE maps are great, but how easy is it to find these sites for someone who's never been? I think we might try "hole in the wall". I guess we would start by kicking out along the sand channel, but I am not sure how to decide when to drop down. Does the sand channel end or are there other markers? Once down, I suppose we could use the 50 ft depth contour, or just head NW.

When I dove it, we just went out to the beginning f the sand channel, decended there and took a 30 degree heading. The vis was at least 50' and it was my best dive so far.

It's actually quite easy to hit the sand channel. As you swim out of the cove, you will begin to to see the surface kelp walling you off from further surface swimming. Shortly beyond this border, a clear channel, extending out to sea, is seen in the kelp. This is the Sand Channel. Short hops underwater beneath the kelp will get you into this channel.

Now that you're in the channel, a popular landmark as you swim out on the surface is the "Shar Pei Rock". This rocky wash rock sits underneath the bluff. It looks remarkably like the head of a Shar Pei dog that is looking out to sea! Placing this distinctive rock on your left, as you look float in the sand channel and look out to sea, will place you over 35' of water.

This is a popular place for most divers (especially those with scooters) to drop.

However, this is a bit more than 400' of underwater swimming to get to Hole In The Wall (HITW). If HITW is your goal, and you want to conserve bottom gas, then just keep swimming out the channel on the surface, and drop when it feels good. As a navigation reference, when you're parallel to the Shar Pei rock: when you look back at the ramp, the ramp will be a bit more than 400' away. So, HITW is about as far away as the ramp, when viewed from Shar Pei rock.

Have fun!

All the best, James

The kelp has filled most of Whaler's cove now. You can't even swim to the end of the parking lot before you have to either crawl over the kelp or descend.

You know...if the vis is good...almost any dive in Lobos is good.

Head out as far as the kelp will let you, take a bearing on the last rock between Whalers and Bluefish (bird poop rock, I've heard it called), cruise on that bearing till the air's about half gone, reverse and head back into the cove. Second dive, head over to Coal Chute, check out the cave (surf permitting), then take a bearing on the boat ramp & mosey home.

Need a third?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom