Question Shore snorkel/dive on cruise suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jcp2

15’ vis is a good day in the pond
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I’ve read the very many helpful threads on diving while on a cruise, and it seems like most of them are referring to making a fixed time for a boat excursion. I’ll be stopping at Cozumel, Grand Cayman, and Falmouth at the end of March with non diving family, and was considering snorkeling with a chance to dive on our own schedule, with the non water people hanging out in the shade at a bar. It seems that I could do something like this at the No Name Bar in Cozumel, Sunset House in Grand Cayman, and still looking for Falmouth. If the dive operation has rentals and a guide easily available when I’m there, I’ll dive. If not, I’ll snorkel. Reasonable or not worth the effort?

Went to Grand Cayman ona scuba trip a couple decades ago. Perhaps teh best dive we did lasted hours..a snorkle dive from shore very close to the cruise terminal...I remember because a ship came in while we were out there and I thought it was kinda cool....
roughly here I think it was (19.292621720185874, -81.38672566040553), pretty sure it was just off Eden Rock Dive Center...have no idea if that's what it was called then..... nice big reefs and canyons...huge tarpon, tons of life

Don't know about Coz for shore diving but Eden Rock, a short walk from the pier has pretty good diving & snorkeling.

I was thinking about this after posting yesterday. That reef I snorkled from shore (Eden Rock) is nearly swimable from the cruise ship moorings...by looking at where they are tagged on google maps. Maybe you could giant stride off the stern of the ship...ha ha

Happened to find this graphic map of Eden Rock in my notes. I really enjoyed swimming through the maze of coral as well as the Devil's Grotto.

I am on Grand Cayman presently and dove Eden Rock on 2 separate days. Easy walking distance from cruise ship disembarkation point. Go to Church St. and make a right.

There is a small restaurant on site for after dive food and drinks. Devil's Grotto has some neat swim throughs.

Eden Rock Dive Center and attached restaurant.
20230122_101801.jpg

Cruise ship location. Some moor closer. If so, do the giant stride.

20230122_101242.jpg

end of March with non diving family, and was considering snorkeling with a chance to dive on our own schedule, with the non water people hanging out in the shade at a bar. It seems that I could do something like this at the No Name Bar in Cozumel
As for Cozumel, yes, No Name Bar is in the Hotel Barracuda Plaza and it's possible to have drinks, lounge about, go snorkeling, and rent tanks from the dive op in the same plaza: Scuba Juan. You can read more about shore diving there in this thread.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom