shore snorkeling near Laguna Beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I recall making a rather detailed post to this board about the train several years back..you might want to research it and repost it for all to read."The train" or what remains is located on the left side of the pier almost to the end
Best time to dive is i the fall months during the Santanas -low surf & great visability--plan to dive very early in the AM and be prepared for fishing line entanglements and on ocasion an irrate worm drowner.

From generation to generation there are dive locations that become popular then fade into obscurity. The Newport train possibly falls into that category.
In 1969-1970- Ron Merker and I published the first dive guide to Orange County which was published in a guide book called "Diving West" I think the train was included in that publication.
The book shows up on occasion in the used book market generally at a reasonable price
sdm

Great info here, there seems to be some good shore entries right in the Laguna Beach area. While reading info about the area, I came upon this (refers to diving):

"Warnings:
Bring your snorkel and a buddy, since this is Laguna. The beach can be completely under water at high tide."
Fisherman's Cove, Laguna Beach, California

Is it against the law or a violation to dive alone? Does that extend to snorkeling?

I solo snorkel Laguna all the time during the summer with no problems. I always talk to the lifeguards and let them know where I'm heading.
As far as having a buddy and snorkel while scuba, I've heard the same thing.
I have not had any problems during the winter when there are no guards around, but it may be different during the summer time.

I recall making a rather detailed post to this board about the train several years back..you might want to research it and repost it for all to read."The train" or what remains is located on the left side of the pier almost to the end
Best time to dive is i the fall months during the Santanas -low surf & great visability--plan to dive very early in the AM and be prepared for fishing line entanglements and on ocasion an irrate worm drowner.

From generation to generation there are dive locations that become popular then fade into obscurity. The Newport train possibly falls into that category.
In 1969-1970- Ron Merker and I published the first dive guide to Orange County which was published in a guide book called "Diving West" I think the train was included in that publication.
The book shows up on occasion in the used book market generally at a reasonable price
sdm

Thanks Sam.... I found It....Maybe a night dive there would be safest?

Keith,

You found my thread on the Newport pier! Great! May be appropriate to re-post it on this thread- If not pm me date that I posted it.

A number of considerations govern diving the pier;
First and foremost is wave action-
Second visibility
Third population of fishermen on the pier
Forth entry and exit also recognize that all diving must be under the pier.

I have dove the pier at night- very interesting and certainly spooky-- how
ever I would strongly suggest that you consider daylight at a time when Santanas are or have been blowing, dive early in AM (right after daylight!) have a cutting tool for entanglements and also for cutting fishing lures.

When you have a number of pier dives and there very few of pole fishermen (generally when it is bone chilling cold) you might want to venture into the canyon at the end of the pier. Be very vert careful the canyon drops off very rapidly. The last time I dove that canyon parts of the train cars were still visible around 85 to 100 feet-- it is dark dirty and muddy there - and things materialize out of the muddy mist!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have never stooped so low as to pole fish and at my age I never will -- but -- I have no problems collecting lures underwater and trading- for birds, quail, pheasants, Fish, albacore, tuna and even machine work- but never found anyone who would cut my grass for a fishing lure.

Good luck and lets hear about your train adventure..

SDM

---------- Post added April 30th, 2012 at 05:44 AM ----------

Great info here, there seems to be some good shore entries right in the Laguna Beach area. While reading info about the area, I came upon this (refers to diving):

"Warnings:
Bring your snorkel and a buddy, since this is Laguna. The beach can be completely under water at high tide."
Fisherman's Cove, Laguna Beach, California

Is it against the law or a violation to dive alone? Does that extend to snorkeling?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

May I suggest that you might find the following article on Orange county intersting...

~~~ Orange County - Did You Know? - by Dr. Sam Miller - History of SCUBA Diving ~~~

If you come to OC and if you dive OC you will be visiting and diving in the Fountain Head of American Recreational diving.

SDM

Back
Top Bottom