Short and Fat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

louwelder

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Got a buddy short and fat 5’5 around 200lbs . We are working our way into SCUBA . Started our first class Today . Need info from short snd fat divers on a wetsuit . If anyone has one to sell please let me know ..

Got a buddy short and fat 5’5 around 200lbs . We are working our way into SCUBA . Started our first class Today . Need info from short snd fat divers on a wetsuit . If anyone has one to sell please let me know ..
Hi,
It would help if you updated your profile with a location. Folks on Scubaboard are from all over the world. Some (typically more expensive) suits come in "short" sizes, which can help. Neoprene is stretchy, so you can get by with one that doesn't really fit that well. Too tight is bad, but too loose is mainly just going to let extra water in. Depends on the diver if that is a problem.

Otter Bay Wetsuits in Monterey makes excellent custom wetsuits. They will make one based on your own measurements. Obviously more expensive than off the rack.

I can provide a few general comments. A custom suit is often the best option for people who fall outside of typical size recommendations.

On the other hand, a lot depends on the type of suit and the temperature. If the water is cold, maybe 60 or less, then it is really essential that the wetsuit fits well. If a diver is going to warm locations, where the water temperature is above 75 or 80, there is a lot more flexibility with regard to wetsuit sizing.

In general, with regard to our wetsuits, we recommend that if someone is a little outside of the sizing guidelines, then it is more important to match the weight rather than the height.

This works best for people who are "a little short for their weight" because if a sleeve or a pant cuff is a little long, they can often be rolled up. Someone who is tall and skinny, might be fine with a little skin showing at the sleeve and ankle if the water is 75- 80 degrees and they are wearing a thin, full suit. If a thin person is diving in 50 degree water and wearing a 7 mm suit, short sleeves might be unacceptable - almost as bad as a loose suit which allows water to slosh around inside the suit.

People who fall within our sizing guidelines should find their suit fits VERY well, however some people who do not want to pay the considerable premium (and sometimes wait) for a custom suit, may be very comfortable and satisfied with a suit that has a wrinkle here and there. Modern, high quality wetsuits have a good bit of elasticity and can accommodate a wide variety of body shapes.

Also, in general, thinner suits are more forgiving (more elastic) than a thicker suit, which may provide a little more leeway when considering if an off the shelf suit will provide an acceptable fit.

Another custom wetsuit that can solve this problem is Wetwear. They're kind of expensive though, around $700 for a custom suit with all the "options". Don't believe the hype they pitch about special neoprene making their 5mill as warm as a 7 or whatever. It just wasn't true for the one I bought. Still it was a great fitting wetsuit that I recommend. It took me a while to get over being pissed about the special neoprene sales BS, but if you just ignore that bit it really is a good product.

UPDATE !!! he found one for $ 275.00
BUT. Thanks for the info thats something that never crossed my mind but will certainly stick in there .!

Some manufacturers have a Large Short size that may fit him. IMO it's better to fit an off-the-rack size than go with custom.

Waterproof have a number of sizes within each 'size'.....half a dozen medium variations or so, for instance. So they may be suitable - they have a table which states the various measurements of each size, so you get yourself measured and compare.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom