Shortie vs Full Wetsuit & Other Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mallbritton

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello, everyone.

After I get back from an extended business trip in Europe I'm going to get my scuba cert, then later this year I have a two week trip to ReefCI in Belize planned to really immerse myself and gain some experience.

I've been recommended to bring a 3mm wetsuit and a couple of co-workers who dive have suggested a shortie. I'll also need my own mask, snorkel, fins, booties and gloves. Concerning the mask: I wear glasses so will need a mask that takes prescription inserts.

What I'd like to ask the community here is what are some good brands to look at? As you might guess I currently have no experience with any dive gear and I don't want to depend on just the folks at the dive shop for their opinion, although I'm sure it is informed and professional. I'd like to have at least a small idea of what I'm looking at before I buy. For the moment price is not really an object, I'll narrow that down later. I would like to purchase something that will be useful in a range of conditions for a few years to come.

Am I even asking the right questions?

Regards,
Michael

Last edited:
Michael, I would get a full suit. Covering your arms and legs doesn't actually make you feel too hot, but having them uncovered can make you feel chilled faster. The only disadvantages I can see to a full suit as opposed to a shortie are that full suits are bulkier to pack and shorties are generally a little cheaper.

Brands... well, they are all cut differently, so you have to try stuff on. Some might be shorter in the torso or tighter across the shoulders or around the hips. The best brand is the one that fits comfortably.

I agree on the full suit. Some divers will get away with a shortie but nobody will be overdressed in a 3mm full suit. Find one that fits like a glove. This page may be helpful.

As for your mask Just abut any silicone skirted mask with tempered lenses is good. It really comes down to fit. Once you have the mask and are confident that it really fits and seals well send it off to have prescription inserts bonded to the inside. Welcome to Prescription Dive Masks 1-800-538-2878. did my last mask. They get frequent high marks here on SB. Even if you only take it snorkeling in a pool it's good to test the fit before investing in the script overlays. Here's more about your mask.

If you have a simple prescription without significant astigmatism (cylinder no more than 1) the shop may carry a line of masks with interchangeable lenses in even number diopters.

A lot of this should get mentioned in your course but it never hurts to get a jump on research.

Pete

like pete said alot of mask companies are offering corrective lenses for the masks i have an evo la paz i got it from divers direct EVO LA PAZ two window scuba mask it fit me like a glove and they had the corrective lenses i have a really bad astigmatism and but with the right standard diopter i have no problem seeing under water, if money is no object it is better to send it away to hvae the prescription bonded to the lenses. also i really have no experiance with wetsuits but i have decided to get a 3mm full suit because it gives you alot more protection, you have to remember that untill you lear to contol your buyoncy you might bump into some rocks or the reefs and you will want as mich protection as possible. you just have to remmeber the weighting requred for a shorty wetsuit and a full wetsit will be slightly different so when you get your own bcd you need to remeber to take that into account

A lot of this should get mentioned in your course but it never hurts to get a jump on research.

Pete

Getting a jump on the research is exactly why I posted here, Pete. I really appreciate your feedback and thanks for the link to the mask company. I'll be looking into them as well as what ever the dive shop recommends. It's good to have options.

I was leaning towards getting the full suit and y'all have convinced me. The pricing doesn't seem to be all that different, at least from what I've seen on amazon when doing a bit of price comparison.

Regards,
Michael

Another advantage of a full suit is protection from coral and jellyfish... of course, minding your buoyancy will help keep you from scraping across or kicking things, but it can happen to the best...

Brands... well, they are all cut differently, so you have to try stuff on. Some might be shorter in the torso or tighter across the shoulders or around the hips. The best brand is the one that fits comfortably.

Thanks, Quero.

Regards,
Michael

Thanks for the feedback and links everyone. I think now I will be able to ask some intelligent questions at the dive shop when I go to get certified and eventually buy gear.

Regards,
Michael

I just wanted to say that I am a new diver also, 5 dives so far (for my cert) with two trips upcoming. I am extremely happy with the wetsuit that I bought.

I have a 3mm Henderson Thermoprene Farmer John, which is basically a full wetsuit on the bottom and "tank top" style on top. However, it also came with a 3mm step-in jacket so if your johns aren't warm enough you can throw on the top for extra warmth. My recent lake dives for certification, the water temperature was mid-80s above 22ft, and high 60s below that (the thermocline). I was never too hot or too cold with this setup. Having tried full wetsuits, I also feel like the Farmer John is much easier to get into. Just my opinion, though.

The only problem is that my Henderson step-in jacket is extremely buoyant, and I personally have to add 6lbs of weight to my BC whenever I am wearing it.

Good luck and welcome, from one new diver to another.

Last edited:
I'm a big fan of the full suit, for the reasons mentioned above. A big factor, though, is your personal tolerance of heat and cold. My wife and I both have three suits. Hers are a dive skin, a 5mm full and a 5mm jacket. Mine are a skin, a 3/2 full and a 5mm jacket. For a couple of cenote dives in May, with water temps of 75F, I wore just the 5mm jacket and was occasionally venting a bit of water at the neck. My wife wore both a fulll and a jacket and was a bit cool (though not uncomfortably so). zOn other dives, she's comfortabe in a 5mm full while I'm wearing just the skin. Personal tolerances vary hugely...
I'm a big fan of the skins. They're comfortable, cheap, and make pulling on a wet suit much easier. And Sue looks hot in hers. :wink: Worn alone, they provide a bit of protection in warm water or add a bit of warmth to the wet suit when layered. Whatever suit you get, I'd encourage you to get a skin as well.
All of our suits are Henderson. We've worn O'Neil and Cressi suits as well, but we are very happy with the Hendersons.

Back
Top Bottom