Should I be scared of diving with this guy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tlawler

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Okay, let me preface this by saying that I'm not perfect when it comes to grammer, spelling and punctuation. But I do try. Really I do. My Mom was an English teacher and placed great emphasis on being able to communicate in an articulate and concise manner. She considered those people who made no attempt to do so to be slovenly not only in spoken and written skills, but also saw it as a reflection of other aspects of their life such as organizational and professional skills. Okay, so maybe she was a little anal about such things, but it left a positive lasting impression on me and has stood me in good stead for many years.

With that being said, I have left my name and contact number at a couple of LDS's in the hope that I could find some new buddies to dive with. Never received any responses until now. Yesterday I got this email:

hi my name is jim i also live in port charlotte i also have cavern and thinking of cave but also like the idea of wreck and as always looking for new dive buddy thnaks jim

So I responded with:

Hi Jim,
Yeah, I'm always looking for a buddy too. Lot of times I can't find one, so I just dive solo. I dive Venice quite a bit because of the close proximity and go caving every couple of months. I'm going up next weekend to Ginnie and meeting up with some friends and camping over the weekend. Do you know any other good shore dive spots close to Charlotte County? I get offshore when I can for wrecks, but it's hard to find the time to spend a whole day diving. The only reason I can get away to Ginnie, is that I'm disgusing it as a "camping trip" for the kids:)

He got back to me with:

ive done that samething with ginnie camping trip there is an old mallases bardge in bradento by the beach and the shrimp wreck at boca grand alsoa beach dive

But I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and check him out. Who knows, he may be a great diver!

i tend to answer short and two the point... hubby rites long winded responses so i lose interest quickly

geez i hope he aint a SB'er too

:wink: :D

My absolute favorite dive buddy is spelling-challenged and has an interesting take on grammar from time to time. He's a beautiful, careful, and joyful diver, though.

geez i hope he aint a SB'er too

:wink: :D

That's exactly what went through my mind too (or is that two or to??) :D

Maybe his shift keys are missing?? :confused:

Do a simple dive with him, you never know what he's like in the water. He might be great in the water.

BTW folks, Firefox version 2 has built-in spell check but doesn't fix grammar (yet). (IE7 may as well but I'm running Win2K and IE7 isn't supported on that OS)

There's somebody named "skeeter" that posts here in the Conch section and I'm convinced he spells things wrong on purpose :)

I've never seen a spelling, punctuation, or grammar test during a SCUBA course!! Why don't you meet up with him for an easy dive and see how it goes? It's real possible that he's an engineer or scientist, I know lots of them who are brilliant but not good at writing. Heh, I'm not good at engineering! :)

I believe his spelling and grammar (etc) probably have zero relation to his skills as a diver. I think your mom's just a bit anal (my best friend's mom was an English major and she's a lot like that). Who knows, he may be dyslexic or something or just not have had a good education. Doesn't mean he can't dive. Most doctors can't (or don't) even write legibly. That doesn't make them incompetent. :wink:

It's real possible that he's an engineer or scientist, I know lots of them who are brilliant but not good at writing. Heh, I'm not good at engineering! :)

Yep, I work with a company full of them. I'm an EE but I spend most of my time writing technical documentation. My mistakes generate "interest" from the FDA.

BTW, you say SHHHHHHH better than any librarian I know Debby :D

Not everyone is a computer person. All this crazy typing stuff isn't everyone's cup-O-tea. He may be more of an in the water diver, rather than an internet one :wink:

You are obviously new to scubaboard:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom