Should I buy these used tanks? Weren't used for diving.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Probably a wash inside would be a good idea if used with an non-diving compressor. Normal compressed air has more than a little hydrocarbon in it.

Other than that At $75 for the pair, you can afford to have them hydroed and cleaned. The first thing I'd do before doing the deal is yank the valves and drop a light in to check for gross corrosion. Absent that you should be within the allowable risk envelope.
The valves can be easily cleaned and rebuilt.

BTW a serviceable "emergency" tank light can be made from a 12V dome light bulb, a bit of clear electrical tape and length of speaker wire for under $6. just make sure the bulb you buy is under 3/4" in diameter so it fits in the hole. Power it off your car battery and position the tank in the shade for the inspection.

Tanks have never been in the water. He always used air in the tanks, obtained from a LDS or from a friend with a compressor. (I thought all paintball guns used CO2, but what do I know?) He would take the 2 filled tanks out to the field where they played, and refilled their guns from these tanks.

He's no longer into paintball and will sell me the 2 tanks together for $75.

I did see a picture of them, and they appear to be in good shape, of course I'll do a visual lookover before purchasing. They are stamped with the following:

M4002 06C02 CATALINA S80 TC-3AL M207

Visual decal is dated January 2003.

My 3 questions, as I've always been a renter of tanks:
1. What does the stamp indicate about the cylinders?
2. Should I be concerned that it was used for non-breathing air? I'm sure a hydro and a vis inspection will assure me of it's structural integrity, but what about cleanliness?
3. Would you buy these 2 tanks for $75?

thanks in advance! :D

Just re-reading this post and the following thought came to mind. If the only viz sticker is dated January 2003, I doubt that tank has been filled by a LDS compressor since January 2004.

As Fred stated, cleaning is probably a very good idea.

Well, I purchased the used tanks and had the tests done. Passed both hydrostatic and visual inspection, so its off to the sea for me!

Not a bad deal... $75 for 2 tanks + $70 for 2 hydro/vis/air fill. :D
I had asked the LDS to also do an O2 clean and certify them for Nitrox. Was an extra $15 per tank. Unfortunately this wasn't completed when I came to pick up the tanks, so the owner said to bring 'em back next week and he'd cover the O2 cleaning and Nitrox decal.

Score!

Back
Top Bottom