Should I dive in shallow waters without a certification?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You should make it conditional on taking swcc out of his user name as well.

OP, SWCC and SEAL are two different qualifications...choose one, focus on it, and make it happen....but dont confuse them and you won't win points by even remotely suggesting that you are something you are not or are not yet.

Having SWCC in your user name does not come across cool to us Navy folk, especially when you stated you want to be a SEAL...it makes you come across confused.

-Z

yeah sorry about that I will see if I can change it, just obsessed with it, by no means I am not in the navy, working on joining soon.

You should make it conditional on taking swcc out of his user name as well.

OP, SWCC and SEAL are two different qualifications...choose one, focus on it, and make it happen....but dont confuse them and you won't win points by even remotely suggesting that you are something you are not or are not yet.

Having SWCC in your user name does not come across cool to us Navy folk, especially when you stated you want to be a SEAL...it makes you come across confused.

-Z

could you help me changing my name on this website? I can’t figure it out.

If you decide to go the PADI route and you're torn between the nearby $500 class and a $300 class farther away, know that price doesn't always correlate with value. You might ask each of the dive shops how many students they allow in the class (fewer is better) and whether they teach students to do skills on their knees or in trim (in trim is better). But given your high degree of motivation, you'd probably be fine with a merely adequate OW class.

Mine wasn't great, in retrospect. There were way too many of us, we learned on our knees, I didn't get much in the way of useful feedback, and I only did each skill once and got signed off. But I didn't have the attitude once I got certified that now I knew everything. I watched others and asked questions and bought books and read this board and kept trying to improve. I still don't feel like I know one millionth of one percent about anything but I keep learning. It's good to have a good instructor, but IMO it's more important to be a good student. Good luck!

If you decide to go the PADI route and you're torn between the nearby $500 class and a $300 class farther away, know that price doesn't always correlate with value. You might ask each of the dive shops how many students they allow in the class (fewer is better) and whether they teach students to do skills on their knees or in trim (in trim is better). But given your high degree of motivation, you'd probably be fine with a merely adequate OW class.

Mine wasn't great, in retrospect. There were way too many of us, we learned on our knees, I didn't get much in the way of useful feedback, and I only did each skill once and got signed off. But I didn't have the attitude once I got certified that now I knew everything. I watched others and asked questions and bought books and read this board and kept trying to improve. I still don't feel like I know one millionth of one percent about anything but I keep learning. It's good to have a good instructor, but IMO it's more important to be a good student. Good luck!
Thank you!

Well, another Darwin case here.

I wouldn't say that. We are talking about a young person that had the guts to ask. As a leader and instructor, there are never stupid questions, in my opinion. By not asking—this could have ended up being another accident/fatality thread instead of one of learning and opportunity.

Well, another Darwin case here.
Another person who didn't read the thread before responding. OP has already said repeatedly that we've convinced him to take the class.

Reactions: Zef
OP: If you have not already, I would study sealswcc.com, it goes over preparation. There was a forum but I do not see it. A key bit is to pre quality. That means you exceed the minimums enough that you have an automatic slot when you enlist.

Stew Smith and Jeff Nichols have a tactical athlete report YouTube series that is very good stuff. Both are ex team guys, with good credentials on training. They seem very solid, covering the core issues. One ran the design of their training or something. (It has gone ad heavy lately, that may be Covid related. )

BUDS will train you from scratch, but being scuba comfortable to start will make that learning curve less steep. But being fit is the priority. Good luck. ETA: And mental resilience is key!

If you have not already, I would study this site: sealswcc.com, it goes over preparation. There was a forum but I do not see it. A key bit is to pre quality. That means you exceed the minimums enough that you have an automatic slot when you enlist.
Yeah I’m trying to get fit and I’m honestly not. Thank you!

Stew Smith and Jeff Nichols have a tactical athlete YouTube series that is good stuff. Both are ex team guys, with good credentials on training.

BUDS will train you from scratch, but being scuba comfortable to start will make that learning curve less steep. But being fit is the priority. Good luck.

If you have not already, I would study this site: sealswcc.com, it goes over preparation. There was a forum but I do not see it. A key bit is to pre quality. That means you exceed the minimums enough that you have an automatic slot when you enlist.

Stew Smith and Jeff Nichols have a tactical athlete YouTube series that is good stuff. Both are ex team guys, with good credentials on training.

BUDS will train you from scratch, but being scuba comfortable to start will make that learning curve less steep. But being fit is the priority. Good luck.

Whoops that message didn’t go right,

anyways I’m trying to get fit but I’m still over weight

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom