Should I fall for the ScubaPro "parts for life" deal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reel Irie

Registered
Reaction score
My lady got me a ScubaPro BC for my birthday recently and while talking with my LDS they said if I bought the complete ScubaPro "package" I could qualify for free parts for life. I believe the package is BC, Reg, and Computer.

I am a new diver so I really don't know much regs and computers. I know I don't want the cheapest but I also dont need the most expensive gear. Just trying to wrap my head around the "value" of the PFL program....

Scubapro is a reputable well known brand, and they make some good stuff. Obviously they want to get you 'hooked' in on their brand so it is worth giving you parts for life to ensure your future business for them.

However - I don't think it is a case of "fall for" - there is no con going on here. If you like Scubapro and buy and stick with the brand they will reward you with a loyalty sweetener. But that doesn't imply anything is wrong. I have some Scubapro gear (BC, couple of first and second stages). If you think Scubapro gear will suit your purpose, and you are likely to keep it for some time so will get it serviced and so on, then down the line this will save you a bit of money.

If, like me, you are probably going to keep changing gear and upgrading and so on, then maybe it won't. It is up to you, but I don't think you will go wrong with Scubapro gear. Have fun and dive safe - P

Well I guess the words "fall for" were a little harsh

I like ScubaPro think they make good gear, however I will admit I am a researcher/looking for the best gear at the best price type guy....and well nothing is cheap with ScubaPro.

Parts kits for each stage can run around $20 or more apiece, meaning you save $60 or more per service. With the PFL warranty, you save this much every year.

Sounds like a win-win. You end up paying a little extra for great gear, and have the service kits provided to the dealer, and you only have to pay for the labor.

Then again, I "fell for it" too. But I'm glad I did.

I like Scubapro gear. I like other gear, too, and I like to pick the best of what I can get, regardless of price. I put a lot of thought into it, such as, I use Atomic regulators because all of the parts kits for all of their models cross over. One parts kit rebuilds a Titanium, brass, monel, and Zirconium. That doesn't matter to you, it does to me. ScubaPro gear is high quality, and with care will last you for life.

A word of caution about the free parts for life program: Read the fine print. Just because the parts are free doesn't mean the labor is, and many shops charge as much for labor as a comparable rebuild on another brand including parts. Also, if you get out of sync (Lets say you take a year off from diving and don't have the service performed that year) you may (I haven't read the fine print either) lose your free parts for life. Be wary of what your LDS promises. The owner may tell you "don't worry about it, I'll call and remind you". Great, but the life of an LDS is often measured in short years rather than long ones. The FPL program is administered by ScubaPro, and if your LDS hasn't properly registered your gear, you can't just walk into a new LDS and expect them to maintain your gear for free.

Caveat Emptor.

ScubaPro makes really good stuff. I have been diving their BC's since 91 when I was certified. I also have SP regs and did use their computer until I switched to a Sherwood Wisdom because I like the large numbers on the screen. But I have never had a single problem or failure with ScubaPro equipment. I don't think you would be disappointed if you completed your set-up with their gear.

thanks everyone

any other manufactures offer a parts for life program that is good? granted I can't buy a "package" from another manufacture now as I already have a ScubaPro BC

thanks everyone

any other manufactures offer a parts for life program that is good? granted I can't buy a "package" from another manufacture now as I already have a ScubaPro BC

Let me be clearer. I would not make my purchasing decisions based on saving what has been described as $60 a year by another poster. Make it based on your diving needs. If ScubaPro (you will pay a premium for the big 'S') meets your needs, go for it. Lets put $60 in perspective. It's dinner and drinks for you and your wife. It's 3 hours of work if you work a mid level job. It's an oil change in your pickup. It's not worth buying the gear if it doesn't fit your needs for a savings of a lousy $60/year.

I made my first 2,000 dives on a crappy Sherwood Brut low end regulator. I was rebuilding it every 100 dives or so at the end, and I had a hard time getting parts in the Caribbean, which is why I traded up to Atomic, which only need servicing every 300 (in reality 1,000) dives or so. How much in reality do you plan to dive? I own a liveaboard and make 2-300 dives per year. If you buy something without the big 'S' on it, you'll save that $60 up front many times over. Look at HOG regulators, they are top quality lower priced regs. Look at Dive-Rite and others. Look at the reviews here on ScubaBoard before you jump in to what your LDS wants to sell you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom