Should I fall for the ScubaPro "parts for life" deal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks guys, just trying to make sense of everything -- I have looked at the Edge Epic regs also -- need to look at the Hogs more to see if they fit what we want need.

I am also buying two setups, one for me and one for my girl, so saving some $$ is a good thing

Now it is 24 months or 100 dives. IMO, your gear should be service at the time. Why not get Free parts and save $60 - $80?

I go for the 5yr 500 dive schedule unless a predive inspection and IP check raises concerns.

Yes, but the OP wants his LDS to service his regulators for him. I'm trying to keep this apples to apples. You and I don't need an LDS to service our gear for us.

I agree. But the savings opportunities are still available even with shop service by stretching out the service interval. So many options if you abandon the PFL programs which all dictate an excessive service frequency. Using crosshair's numbers in post #12, that works out to $100 a year in labor charges to maintain the PLF program. (That is what is being maintained as the regulator, with good care, will not need that much.) The $80 off-year inspection is abusive. I inspect the regs that I use before every trip (and when I get bored). The inspection is quite simple (there is a sticky in the regular or the DIY forum) even if you don't want to get into more technical services.

---------- Post added August 12th, 2013 at 11:30 AM ----------

Now it is 24 months or 100 dives. IMO, your gear should be service at the time. Why not get Free parts and save $60 - $80?

BD - What do you charge for inspection and for service?

---------- Post added August 12th, 2013 at 11:33 AM ----------

Thanks guys, just trying to make sense of everything -- I have looked at the Edge Epic regs also -- need to look at the Hogs more to see if they fit what we want need.

I am also buying two setups, one for me and one for my girl, so saving some $$ is a good thing

I suggest you think about buying 3 setups. There is no better way to insure a regulator problem free trip than a spare regulator. There is no better way to invite a regulator problem on a trip than to have one serviced just before you leave.

Fell or pushed? I assume that as a "divemaster candidate" that you got "the talk".
My gear was purchased long before I got "the talk" because it worked well for me. I'm still more than happy with my Scubapro setup.

I've had a chance to use Aqualung, Mares, Sherwood and Apeks gear, and if I were to do it again, I would still have my MK25/S600 and Galileo Luna. The only thing I would do is swap my Seahawk for a Knighthawk, simply because of the D-ring placement on the shoulders. But either way, I would qualify for Parts for Life.

Because your website shows a good set (Mk 25/G250, as solid a performer as they make) for $679. You're locked into the pricing by your dealer agreement, so that's the price.
We have given many Scubaboard members better deals than the list price!

In fact, many members took advantage of the $399 deal for the Scubapro MK25/G250.

Please take a look at many of our Hot Deals. I will continue to give Scubaboard members exceptional deals on Scubapro.

I don't think this thread is about comparing apples to lemons. Please stay on topic & I promise I won't compare your vessel to a Taiwanese Junk:D!

I don't think this thread is about comparing apples to lemons. Please stay on topic & I promise I won't compare your vessel to a Taiwanese Junk:D!

First of all, I never said that ScubaPro gear is junk, in fact, I think I've been more than fair that ScubaPro makes excellent gear. What I said (if you don't want to go back and read the thread) is that PFL should not be a reason to pick ScubaPro gear. If there is another reason to pick it (trust in the LDS, Familiarity with the gear, brand reputation or loyalty) then ScubaPro is fine. I personally would never take gear to an authorized service center to be serviced, because I rely on it to keep me alive under water and I've seen too many failures of ScubaPro regulators having just been returned from service fail to provide no air to the user. It's too easy to install the poppet incorrectly on the second stage, and if it is, it fails to give air. I haven't seen this once or twice, I've seen it 20 times. Luckily, I keep the SP tools to fix what the authorized service centers don't do correctly.

If you are comparing a HOG/EDGE regulator to a chinese junk, you're mistaken. I personally use one just to try to use it to death. Over 300 dives including some to 250 feet and it hasn't needed service yet, although the IP is starting to creep a little.

As far as comparing my boat to a Chinese junk, I know exactly what I'm selling, I have no delusions of grandeur.

Whatever reg the OP decides to get should be based on a few things that I try to use when suggesting a reg to a customer.
1. What type of diving do you plan to do? If it is anything except warm freshwater 100% of the time I try to guide them to a sealed reg. Just makes care and service easier and more convenient.
2. Do you plan on doing any cold water? Below 50 degrees? If yes again a sealed reg.
3. Are you planning to travel? If so lighter set may be beneficial but not totally necessary.
4. Do you think that you will use Yoke or DIN valves more? If yoke or a mix favoring yoke then go with a yoke reg.
5. Any plans at all to go tech or buy DIN tanks? If yes get a DIN reg and use an adapter or buy the yoke kit with it. That way when you travel you can take the three minutes it takes to swap the fitting.
6. What is your budget? If you tell me unlimited I might suggest the Edge Titanium for 700 bucks. And then probably try and talk you out of it. Unless you tell me you will be traveling all the time, doing 300 dives a year, and want the thing there is no need to spend that much money for a reg.

If you tell me primarily vacation dives a few times a year, warm water, no real deep stuff, and want light and compact I'm going to guide you to the EXP for 245.00 with an Escape Octo for 95.00. I won't even suggest moving up to an Epic unless you ask.

Ask about the Epic specifically and I will give you your options there.

Tell me you want to dive long hose, have plans for tech, or just want to observe rule number 6 all the time (which is always look cool) I'll suggest the HOG if your budget allows it.

To come right out and try to sell you the most expensive one in the line right off the bat is ignorant IMO. I'd rather you spend less and dive more because the truth is today that the average OW diver would not be able to tell the difference between a 250.00 adjustable and a 600.00 one if the guy setting up the less expensive one knows what he/she is doing.

Now as to service. The average reg does not need rebuilt every year. Unless you're doing 200 plus dives a year. An annual inspection should not cost more than 40 -50 bucks. I charge 35 plus return shipping. The two year rebuild is going to run you around 135 plus return shipping or so depending on how well you care for your regs. Abuse them and it'll cost you since I have to spend more time cleaning them up.

Now that rebuild is recommended. May not be required on all stages. If your octo is good and everything checks out it makes no sense to rebuild it. Maybe it can go another 6 months?

But the best part is if you miss a service by a month, two months, hell a year - it's not going to cost you any more money. If you decide that you are taking a year off, or just not going to dive for the first six months of the second year and want to wait to send it to me to service that's fine. NO penalty. No rap on the knuckles. The worst that may happen is you have to wait two weeks to get it back because I have classes, other work, family issues, etc. Normally turn around is a week from the time I get it in my hands. Send it in during the winter and if I get it on Friday it'll get done that weekend and back in the mail on Monday.

If I can't do it I'll let you know. I sent one customer to another dealer just last month because I could not turn his reg around fast enough for him. I had too much going on.

A sale of a reg, BC, BPW, or anything should be based on the needs of the customer. Not on the shop's quota. I have found that doing that has brought me more business than pushing the higher priced stuff right off the bat ever would have.

BD - What do you charge for inspection and for service?
We charge $30 for bench Check & inspection. This fee can be applied to an annual service. We charge $35/stage plus parts. If our client has Free Parts for Life, then the parts are Free!

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom