Should I fly?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

baltimoron

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey Guys, happy to say that things are nice in Miami!

This past week, I have been a little congested but not enough to call off a dive. I woke up today fine and clear, and so I went on as normal. While descending, I felt some pain in the sinuses, but it went away with a little bit of time and I didn't think about it until I started ascending. While ascending, my sinuses felt as if air was shifting around, but it went away at the surface also. On the drive home there was some dull pain around the inside of the tip of the ear. Now I know something isn't quite right here: I think I took a mild hit of barotrauma. That sucks- it won't happen again.

My real issue is that I have to get on a plane back to Baltimore in 36 hours, and then I have about a week at home before I have to get on another plane to Amsterdam. I don't want to sound stupid here, but how big is my problem? Is the altitude change going to have me writhing in pain? Should I alter my plans?

Hope you all can give me some advice.

Zack

baltimoron:

My real issue is that I have to get on a plane back to Baltimore in 36 hours, and then I have about a week at home before I have to get on another plane to Amsterdam. I don't want to sound stupid here, but how big is my problem? Is the altitude change going to have me writhing in pain? Should I alter my plans?

Zack

Zack,

I think you really need to take it a day at a time. I used to be an aircrew member, and now I scuba dive, so I've seen it from both sides, the going up and the going down. So to speak. A lot can happen in 36 hours. The sinuses and whatever seems to be starting to congest them can rersolve itself, or, it can get a WHOLE lot worse.

Be careful, and watch the symptoms between now and when you fly. Remember, an aircraft pressurizes to about 8,000 feet altitude (except certain eastern european airlines I've been on that went to about 14,000 feet for the cabin altitude). The difference between sea level and 8,000 feet in the air is about the difference between standing beside the water, and diving to about 8 feet (2.5m for those metrically inclined).

If at time to go to the airport you don't think you could handle a 10-15ft dive, don't fly! (that gives a little margin for error/judgement/whatever).

Good luck,

Ken

Thanks a lot for your adivce, Ken. You were right about seeing how things go- I woke up this morning with none of the pain I had last night. Things look all clear for my flight back home tomorrow. Thanks a lot!

Zack

baltimoron:

This past week, I have been a little congested but not enough to call off a dive. I woke up today fine and clear, and so I went on as normal. While descending, I felt some pain in the sinuses, but it went away with a little bit of time and I didn't think about it until I started ascending. While ascending, my sinuses felt as if air was shifting around, but it went away at the surface also. On the drive home there was some dull pain around the inside of the tip of the ear. Now I know something isn't quite right here: I think I took a mild hit of barotrauma. That sucks- it won't happen again.

Zack

Zack,

I have been there.

On a trip home from China (16.5 hours direct) I had this very problem.
What saved me was some Afrin that I had on me as it lasts 12 hours. I also use this 30 minutes before I dive in the AM and it aids me tremendously in clearing my ears.

Obviously your mileage will vary here (literally!) but that is what worked for me. It is temporary as nothing can substitute for rest .

Good luck, Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom