Should I have a backup computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I started diving we used tables which were carved out of stone which also meant we could use less weight on our weight belt the first computers I remember were the "Bend-O-Matics" which used element X I believe they were made by ScubaPro.

I can't see a new diver needing a backup computer

It's almost that simple. It's what you wrote above -except it could be a whole bunch of dives if they are in a location where they cannot obtain a second computer so easily and don't want to start messing around with tables- in which case they'd still need some sort of bottom timer which they might not have and even "if" they can obtain a replacement dive computer for the duration of their trip it most likely won't be one they are very familiar with and for those of us who enjoy the convenience of air integrated wrist computers that won't happen with a replacement computer- to me that's part of the fun of diving which is why I carry 2 air integrated computers.

I've already explained that 2 good used dive computers cost considerably less than one new computer and do all of the things that are needed by most recreational scuba divers especially novice divers and you've got the redundancy as well as the cost savings.

AND if a diver carries a backup computer they:

a) might not be compelled to throw perfectly good batteries into landfills every year because they won't be as concerned about their primary computer failing
b) they don't run the risk of losing up to a trip's worth of dive data that will no longer be available for upload to a digital logbook (or entered manually) if the computer is lost or broken
c) they accept that they might have to mess up a buddy's dive by shortening it because their computer fails and they have to call the dive
d) they accept they might risk a potentially fatal dose of 02 or N02 exposure if they depend on another divers computer to finish a dive and are not sure of the other diver's profile and are not willing to mess up another person's dive because they were not prepared by carrying a backup dive computer

AND the cost of a dive computer can be zero.

Why do I say this? Because good dive gear can last for DECADES.

When I hang my fins up in another 15 years or so I can probably turn around and sell my perfectly good computers for close to what I paid for them, or even more.

It's like an investment
The quote you attribute to me at the top wasn’t me. I am more than happy to take sh*t or the sh*t I say... but that wasn’t me.... (not that I have much against it, but it was too grammatically correct, not enough words left out for me to have written it)

AND the cost of a dive computer can be zero.

Why do I say this? Because good dive gear can last for DECADES.

When I hang my fins up in another 15 years or so I can probably turn around and sell my perfectly good computers for close to what I paid for them, or even more.

It's like an investment
Where do you shop? The dumpster behind LeisurePro? Good gear isn’t free. Computers don’t last decades, eventually they get wonky and are not repairable like a regulator. They don’t hold their value like a classic car (weren’t you one of the guys saying you were buying them cheap off of eBay?). The entire premise of the discussion was having a replacement with you when your computer goes into the sh*tter.

This can be yours for $499 and I guarantee it will hold down papers in winds up to eight knots.... I even throw in shipping for free!
7E1E8EE2-A798-4C20-B636-8F54BE36F29E.jpeg

The OP has not posted since he started the thread, hope he got what he needed. There have been some perfectly good suggestions between the personal battles

Do you need a backup computer? It's a personal decision influenced by several factors. Be happy with your own decision

Now we're getting somewhere. To the OP: if you bought your genesis on fleebay for a tenner plus s&h, and it's a decade-old model, then I would certainly recommend carrying a second computer.

I did learn something from this thread. I dug into other threads and found the one on Suunto depth sensor failures. Now I know why my Cobra seemed super conservative to the point for putting a deco limit on me when I was far from one based on my primary computer (Uwatec), my wife's primary and backup computers (Suuntos). It thought I had gone a lot deeper than I'd actually gone. It won't change my plan to upgrade my primary to a new Uwatec but it's good to know the mechanism of failure. BTW the Cobra only had 150 dives or so on it. It had always been rinsed, protected, and treated with respect.

I have a new Genesis Resource Pro Computer and was wondering if I should also wear a wrist computer.
After 14 pages and 133 posts, you probably are getting the idea that there is not one and only one answer to your two questions. :) And, such is the case.

You have received a number of good, and divergent, responses, generally reflecting the personal preferences of each respondent. I am no different. My answer - for recreational diving - is, 'It depends.'. Some of the responses have become a bit 'animated', some might even say 'testy'. Mine won't be - for me, the question of whether or not to dive with a back-up computer doesn't rise to the level of criticality that requires engaging emotion.

I dove for some years with a SPG, depth gauge, a timing device, and tables. I am still here to write about it. I dove for some years with a SPG, depth gauge and only one (wrist-mounted) dive computer. I never 'lost' a dive because of a computer failure. For the past 15 years, I have dove with a computer as my depth gauge, a SPG, and at times a compass. I am still here to write about it.

My general PERSONAL PREFERENCE is to dive with two, wrist-mounted computers, except when I a) forget to put one on before splashing, b) can't find one of them at the time I am gearing up, c) loan one to my wife or daughter for the particular dive, or d) forget to fully charge one of them and it doesn't last the whole dive. Probably 30% of my dives are still single DC dives. But, I do like to have two - one on each wrist - when I splash, whenever possible.

If diving with a single DC and it fails during a dive, MY PERSONAL PREFERENCE is to end the dive, and make a normal, safe ascent. That single DC is both my depth gauge and my timing device, and I prefer to have both. I guess I could continue a dive under certain specific circumstances, such as diving with my wife on a relaxing Bonaire reef, and relying on hers for the remainder of the dive - usually, my gas supply is what determines my dive time, not my NDL. But, that hasn't ever happened, so I can only speculate. (I cannot recall starting a dive without a DC in a LONG time.) Others are free to make their own choice, as are you. If I am diving with two computers and one fails, I continue the dive as before.

The nice thing is, if you can handle reading a wristwatch-size screen, there are quite a few relatively inexpensive options out there for you. And, used DCs may be something to consider in general. I have only purchased 4 DCs in my career, two of which I am still diving, and will continue to dive until they die. Two of the four were purchased on eBay (very good used computers, purchased at well below even discounted new retail prices). One (purchased new) was sold on eBay, and one (purchased used) was stolen. The two I still dive (Liquivision X1 and Suunto HeLO2) are no longer available, don't use the same algorithms, but are easy to read and still work well.

Now, your second question, whether to get a wrist computer, is easy. ABSOLUTELY! In fact, I suggest you take that Resource Pro you have now out of the console, buy a wrist mount for it, and wear it that way. :) Of course, having (only) wrist-mounted computers is also MY PERSONAL PREFERENCE, and others may disagree.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom