Should I put the extra weight on cam bands?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

keungfai

New
Reaction score
I used to use 8lb weight, and now I have a large SS plate.
I know some people put their extra weight on their cam bands to have better balancing on water surface.
So is it OK to do so? Will it lead to any potential danger?
If I do so, should I put the 2lb lead on one single cam band or 1lb on each cam band?

Thanks

I used to use 8lb weight, and now I have a large SS plate.
I know some people put their extra weight on their cam bands to have better balancing on water surface.
So is it OK to do so? Will it lead to any potential danger?
If I do so, should I put the 2lb lead on one single cam band or 1lb on each cam band?

Thanks

I do not recommend having all your ballast on your rig. This creates several problems.

Your rig will be quite heavy, and more difficult to move around out of the water, and more difficult to pass up out of the water, if you remove your gear before getting back on the boat.

Your wing will need to float all your ballast, instead of only the plate, harness, regulator and tank if you ditch your rig. With a weight belt you and your exposure suit will support the belt.

EVERY LBS OF BALLAST MOVED FROM A WEIGHT BELT TO YOUR RIG INCREASES THE AMOUNT YOUR WING HAS TO FLOAT IF YOU DITCH THE GEAR.

Some of your ballast should be ditchable. 4-8 lbs is plenty, enough to get positive at the surface in the event of an emergency.

Tobin

I use a SMALL amount of weight in two pockets located either side of my cylinder on the top cam band when diving a single with my drysuit. It helps my trim when diving. ( horizontal trim ) I don't know what it's doing for me topside.

I'd suggest using weight tucked in as close to your body as you can. And use it in two places to keep the center of gravity low.

Works for me.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    139.1 KB · Views: 137
I use a SMALL amount of weight in two pockets located either side of my cylinder on the top cam band when diving a single with my drysuit.

Works for me.

Randy and Splitlip,

I know both of you are offering your best advise, but this is the DSS forum, and my responses are specific to both the OP, and the features of the DSS product line.

It is necessary for me to be quite specific when questioned by DSS users about DSS goods.

I also have to consider how others may interpret advise seen in a forum that I moderate.

My original response to the OP includes my concerns about the impacts of having no ditchable ballast when diving in a wetsuit. Drysuit diving provides redundant buoyancy and makes ditchable ballast unnecessary, but I cannot assume all will understand this.

My concerns regarding wing capacity, and the potential of exceeding the lift capacity of the wing by moving weight from the diver's person (weight belt) to the rig are real.

Anecdotal examples from others, who are not using DSS gear, and have unknown wing lift capacity have the potential to be misinterpreted in this venue.

Tobin

Last edited:
Tobin, true. Only offering some advice which is general in nature, but specific to backplate users of many brands.

To be honest, I didn't pay attention to what forum I was posting in. Sorry.

Did not realize when I posted.

Back
Top Bottom