Should I Rent A 4x4 On Bonaire?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DvrRick

Contributor
Reaction score
I was wondering whether it was worth the extra $ renting a 4X4 Jeep on Bonaire. We will be renting a dive truck but need another vehicle as well. Are there areas that are unreachable without one? I don't want to damage the landscape but would love to take some 4x4 trails and explore areas that are difficult to reach.

While we are at it, how about the same for Curacao and Aruba? Thanks.

I was wondering whether it was worth the extra $ renting a 4X4 Jeep on Bonaire. We will be renting a dive truck but need another vehicle as well. Are there areas that are unreachable without one? I don't want to damage the landscape but would love to take some 4x4 trails and explore areas that are difficult to reach.

While we are at it, how about the same for Curacao and Aruba? Thanks.

While in Bonaire if you plan to visit Washington Park, take the shortcut from Karpata or drive to Spelunk Lighthouse I would suggest a second truck as the ground clearance is imperative on those roads.

I don't think that you need a 4x4 on Bonaire. I've always done just fine with a truck. Enjoy Bonaire.

I was there and drove as much of the island as i could....no four wheel required.

Agreed. No 4 wheel drive necessary on Bonaire. Some in our group last year rented scooters for romping around, and had a great time on them.

Now, Aruba does have four-wheeling territory on the east side of the island. I have never been over to that side myself, but I read about it in some of the guide books.

Don't know about Curacao. I haven't been there, yet.

Mountain Dog

Agreed to all of the above. They do have these really cool 4 wheel ATVs that they rent, but I've only seen them on the main roads, but they look like fun!

Liz

I don't think you'd need one for Bonaire.

However, a 4x4 would be very handy in Aruba if you plan on exploring the Norh/East coast or the Arikok National Park. Also, you can't get to Conchi (natural pool) without one. Get one with an AC if you can, else you'll have to battle the incredible heat and your skin and hair will look orange/brown from all the rust colored dust that will stick on you.

6 trips to bonaire and have been everywhere in the "dive" pick ups trucks (including the Washington Slagbai park) so I think a jeep would be overkill

have fun

Andy

:shakehead:Hmmm...I notice I didn't thank everyone for their advice. Sorry about that, very rude.

Thank you for the advice on the 4x4 for Bonaire. How about for Curacao? Any need?

I've narrowed my decision on rentals down to Budget and Tiger Rentals on Curacao. I've read a bad report about Budget on Curacao (only one) and heard nothing about Tiger. Any experience or feedback on these? Any other's I may want to consider?

Thanks again.

Rick

Actually the buggies go buy my house just about every day. First time I heard about them renting full scale cars though.

I'll try to get some more options in this post once I get home.

Don

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom