Should I spray cold-galvanizer on my tank bands?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AbyssalPlains

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Bought a used set of tank bands that have discoloring from corrosion where they touched the tanks leaving behind a ring of brown/rusty residue. Since the tanks are painted, I was able to scrub most of it off with simple green, but before I put the bands back on, I am wondering whether it would be a good idea to spray the bands (not the tanks) with Rustoleum Cold Galvanizing Compound. Haven't found any info on this. Has anyone tried this? Good idea? Bad idea?

The zinc in the paint will convert to zinc oxide upon water exposure. Its a whitish dusty yet sticky paste. I don't see this as a "problem" but its not really doing anything useful either. It will peel off the outside of the stainless and be a grimy white mess on the inside. I think you'll just waste your money trying to make your stuff look "new". The only way to keep that new look is to buy new and then not dive it :)

Just scrub the bands clean of any crud or grease and apply a layer of duct tape on the inside. It will prevent the bands from maring the paint, and help prevent the galvanic reaction if there is a breach in the painted surface.

Great! Glad I kept the receipt. I'll return the Rustoleum and invest the money in a fresh cold pint. Thanks, guys!

It's possible to do a crude form of passivation by scrubbing SS with an oxalic acid cleaner such as Bar Keepers Friend.

It's especially handy if one has just made something with SS and want to take it in the water right away, since the naturally occuring oxide layer that normally keeps SS from corroding takes a few weeks to reform after then surface has been disturbed (by grinding, polishing or machining).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom