Should I store a drysuit with the completely closed zipper?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The one I have in my new suit is a YKK plastic, and it's been ok. I mentioned it's fussy, but if I lube the dock every day I'm diving, and tuck the handle under the protective flap, it's generally dry.

Having said all that, the brass zippers I had were completely dry for hundreds and hundreds of dives.

It is surprising to me that you say you have to lube your zipper every dive day. I have a Santi with the plastic YKK zipper on it that has about 110 dives on it and I rarely lube it. In fact, every time I do, it seems to want to back off (unzip a bit) during the first dive. I get paranoid when I lube it and make sure I check and recheck that it's closed. Other than the propensity to unzip when just lubed I have no issues with it. I'm just using the lube that came with the suit (looks like a Chapstick). I think I've lubed it maybe 4 times total since I've had the suit. Maybe 3?

Maybe we have a differing idea of how easily it should slide. :)

I am storing the YKK plastic zipper on my Nova closed, cover zipper also closed of course.

After googling various forum accounts, manufacturer's recommendations, etc., I am confident that this is the way to go on that particular zipper, and definitely if you do not have a cover zipper that holds it all together, as there would inevitably be a lot of distortion along the zipper no matter how it is rolled or stored.

I have my bp/w, fins and drysuit in a Pelican case, so I lay the torso of the suit zipper down on top of the other stuff and fold the legs and arms over.

If I need to roll it compact for the travel bag, I lie the suit zipper down, roll up the legs, fold arms over.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom