Should we visit Yap or give it a break??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pacific Pete

Registered
Reaction score
We hate to be "tourists" when people are trying to rebuild their homes. But maybe the tourist dollars are needed now more than ever?

Anyone familiar with Yap please advise. Thanks.

I was in Yap during the Typhoon. The Typhoon didn't do much damage to the main island. It messed up the seas and chased the Mantas out to open water so we left early but all should be good now. After we left Yap we went to Palau were we met a couple who was on one of the outer islands that was hit directly by the typhoon and the damage was bad - all of the crops were destroyed and shelters torn apart. The big problem is the crops, the Red Cross dropped some food out on the islands but they had plenty of food at the time because they knew the storm was coming and harvested all their crops ... now they are probably out of food since the crops were destroyed and the Red Cross has moved on to other desasters. Bottom line - if you are flying Continental, it does not cost you any more to go to the main island of Yap. Yap is true to it's culture and definately worth a trip (it's a lot different than Palau). If you want to go to the outer islands of Yap you must contact the tourism board and get permision from the village chief. Note that the outer islands are right out of national geographic. There are no stores, hotels or dive shops. The grow tarro and fish. If you have time I would recomend going to the outer islands to see the real Yap. Otherwise the main island of Yap is still worth a stop and the fact that you WILL see Mantas is just icing on the cake.

I was in Yap over last xmas. I'd go again in a New York minute, especially now. they need the $$ to get back to normal and rebuild

Just for clarification. I was in Yap for the typhoon at the end of November 2003. I'm not sure if there has been a typhoon since then ...

champ:
Just for clarification. I was in Yap for the typhoon at the end of November 2003. I'm not sure if there has been a typhoon since then ...

yep, couple weeks ago

The April typhoon more or less destroyed the main island of Yap ... ALL non-concrete buildings were destroyed ... tides were several feet above normal hig-water-mark, so there was much flooding in the coastal villages.

That said, many people on Yap rely on tourism for their livelyhood... they want you back there as soon as they are ready.

Give a call to your hotel of choice (phone service is getting better each day, most people in Kolonia village should have phone service now) ... they will tell you when they will be ready for you ... probably by sometime in May (if not before) ... just don't expect any fancy meals, or deluxe accomodations right now.

The daytime flights to Yap are operating normal ... the nighttime flights depend on the electicity at the airport (need runway lights) ... that should be back to normal this week. So if you DO go to Yap in the next few days, also check with Continental to make sure the flight is operating :)

Pete,

The link you provided seems to give you the information you need to make your decision -- Manta Ray Divers/Hotel is almost fully operational if you want to go with them. They mentioned that in about 60-90 days everything should be back to "normal". Question for you is if you would like to be in Yap during the heart of their reconstruction period. Supplies will be limited and services in disarray, but it will also be a time when the resilience and tenacity of the good people who live there will be most evident.

Saipan had an indirect hit from Supertyphoon Pongsona (180-250 mph winds; Guam and Rota had direct hits) in 2002 and despite the damage I saw, people hunkered down, regrouped and relied on their familes, communities, government, and relief agencies to move on with their lives. It was nice to see the collective efforts of all. If you go to Yap now or in the next few weeks, you'll see some of the rebuilding and, if it so suits you, you can take part in it through many of the volunteer organizations that have extended their help to Yap. In any event, I think that Yap's economy could use your dollars, especially any of the mom & pop stores that happened to survive the storm. Even dollars you spend at Manta Ray Divers will make their way around the local economy because of the communal nature of money in many parts of Micronesia -- wages and tips to hotel/dive staff will be shared with the extended family in this time of great need.

Good luck, and please post a report when you get back.

marpacifica:
Pete,

The link you provided seems to give you the information you need to make your decision -- Manta Ray Divers/Hotel is almost fully operational if you want to go with them. They mentioned that in about 60-90 days everything should be back to "normal". Question for you is if you would like to be in Yap during the heart of their reconstruction period. Supplies will be limited and services in disarray, but it will also be a time when the resilience and tenacity of the good people who live there will be most evident.

Saipan had an indirect hit from Supertyphoon Pongsona (180-250 mph winds; Guam and Rota had direct hits) in 2002 and despite the damage I saw, people hunkered down, regrouped and relied on their familes, communities, government, and relief agencies to move on with their lives. It was nice to see the collective efforts of all. If you go to Yap now or in the next few weeks, you'll see some of the rebuilding and, if it so suits you, you can take part in it through many of the volunteer organizations that have extended their help to Yap. In any event, I think that Yap's economy could use your dollars, especially any of the mom & pop stores that happened to survive the storm. Even dollars you spend at Manta Ray Divers will make their way around the local economy because of the communal nature of money in many parts of Micronesia -- wages and tips to hotel/dive staff will be shared with the extended family in this time of great need.

Good luck, and please post a report when you get back.

Thanks, you make great points. Headed there June 9 with the family. Should be a unique experience for our children as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom