Shoulder pull dump valve, y/n

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scott M

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
On the current wing I have there is no pull dump valve on the shoulder so if I want to dump from that location I have to raise the inflator and dump. I use the rear most of the time but there occasions a shoulder pull dump would be nice. Is there any reason not to have one? Are they failure points?

Regards

One of the only ways I know to render a wing useless underwater is to pull the corrugated hose off it. It's very unlikely one would do this using the hose to dump, but tugging on it repeatedly can do it. I've read several reports of people using pull dumps and having the hose come off in their hands.

I like pull dumps, but not on the inflator hose. That hose is not, IMO, strong enough to be used as a pull cord.

Darn, I was afraid that was going to be the answer. I don't like failure points and have eliminated as many as possible. I guess it would not make sense to add one.

Thanks

I like pull dumps, but not on the inflator hose. That hose is not, IMO, strong enough to be used as a pull cord.

By "pull dumps" we are talking about remote exhausts, correct??

Don't most "pull dumps" have a cable inside which actually does the pulling? I know that ours does.

Essentially, all you are asking the rubber hose to do is stretch an inch, which shouldn't really be a problem.

Personally, I normally dump air the old fashioned way - I hold up the inflator and push the dump button, but a shouder exhaust is nice to have.

YMMV.

You must be talking about the hundred or so weak spots that the manufacturers molds into the hose for the sake of "flexibility".

I gave mine a pull once and it tore right off at the shoulder at one of the molded rings, on the Santa-Rosa wall in Cozumel. As my first OW dive after certification it was quite an "exciting" experience.

It was also the last time I pulled on an inflator hose.

Terry

My wing doesn't have one wither and I don't really miss it. I believe the shoulder dump to be another point of possible failure that is not needed.

Scott, unless you define "remote exhausts" I don't know if that's a new term for a pull dump or not. I'm referring to the pull dumps on lots of BCs today. Many are located at the bottom of a BC, Scubapro also puts them at the right shoulder. They double as over pressure relief valves and have a cord you can pull to operate them manually.

All the pull dumps I've ever examined are like yours in that they do have a cable of some type inside the hose that actually does the pulling. You are correct that the hose only needs to stretch a small amount and it normally isn't a problem. OTOH, it sometimes is a problem. Hoses come apart from their point of attachment. Hoses break. By putting a pull dump in the inflator hose, we are increasing the risk of a hose failure. I really don't see the point.

I will admit that I think the inflator pull dump has to be the absolute stupidest idea used on most equipment! (that elevator level at waist height is even more stupid but not used widely thank god) "yeah heres an idea, lets take something that people depend their lives on and design it so they yank on it to adjust buoyancy..." Flippin' brilliant! If you are swimming horizontal, reach back and use the butt dump, if you swim Vertically, lift the power inflator and just push the button. I bet whoever came up with the idea of the pull dump also tried to market a mask where you knock on the glass with your knuckles or butt end of your dive knife to defog it during a dive.

a mask where you knock on the glass with your knuckles or butt end of your dive knife to defog it during a dive.

Oh my god that is BRILLIANT! I'm going straight down the patent office first thing tomorrow morning. You sir, are a genius.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom